Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have only a few fry left - ten or so - from my wild splendens first spawn. They are two weeks old and I have been trying to do everything that I can to keep them alive and well, but it is not working and I feel so terrible for losing so many. What am I doing wrong, can anyone experienced in breeding help? :cry:

My babies are in the 5 gallon I used for breeding, bare bottom with a sponge filter and some live and one fake plant. The water is about half way, I change out some of the water daily (being very careful not to take out any live fry with my water changes) and I have green water, BBS, and micro worms for them to eat, which I feed twice daily. The light is on for 12 hours a day and I have the tank covered to prevent any drafts. It maintains 79-80F.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Could be a fungal infection. I wouldn't have live plants in there since you are doing frequent water changes anyway. The plants could be decaying and causing less than ideal water conditions. That is what killed my first spawn

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your responses, I'm trying so hard to save the ones I have left. Someone I spoke to about feeding fry at my local fish store said 2x daily feedings would be good, I'll definitely feed the rest more often and try taking the plants out. The poor things, I feel so terrible :(

·
Registered
2,203 Posts
Dont feel bad :) I starved my first spawn real bad and only had 2 left so youre doing better than i did. At least you know the survivours are the strongest ones.
Theres a critical stage within the first few hours of free swimming where if they dont have anything to eat most will die. Thats why its handy to have a good amount of infusoria in your tank so they can nibble at it while youre away

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How do you recommend going about the infusoria in the tank? I've heard mixed reviews about it, and my supply all of a sudden got clear yesterday.
And also thanks, I have heard that a lot of people don't do well on their first spawn but I don't think I was quite prepared to lose that many!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts