Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Actually have babies hatched out of my very first successful spawn so figured I best get a spawn log started. 馃槉

The female is a blueish/pinkish colored marble veil tail. *I know her head shape isn鈥檛 ideal but the male has a good shaped head so I am hoping he鈥檒l improve that in the fry. **Also this is the female post breeding so she has a little damage to her fins, it was not like that prior to breeding. These just happen to be the best pictures I got of her that show her coloration.
Plant Vertebrate Water Fin Organism

Water Window Vertebrate Fin Natural environment

Male is a gorgeous copper half moon plakat. He did such a great job building his bubble nest and taking care of the eggs!
Fin Water Organism Fish Underwater

Automotive tire Hood Road surface Line Floor

They didn鈥檛 produce a ton of eggs but for their first time as well as mine I am just glad to have gotten some!
In this last pic you can see the babies! Just look at all those tiny tails and eyes! They aren鈥檛 free swimming yet so I think I am going to leave the male in until tomorrow morning, we鈥檒l see.
Water Liquid Wood Hood Automotive exterior

Sorry for bad picture quality, my lighting and tank photo taking skills aren鈥檛 up to par yet.
As I work on raising these baby bettas, I鈥檒l keep this log updated. Any tips or suggestions are greatly appreciated! Have a nice day!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
UPDATE: Pulled the male out as the babies were moving more (still not quite free swimming yet, but doing well enough that I feel comfortable that they鈥檒l do well) and he needed a good rest and some food. Most still got yolk sacs from what I can see but I still gave them a little egg yolk for those that鈥檙e ready to start eating. They also have Java fern in there which is providing microorganisms for them to feed on while they鈥檙e still small. Water will be partially changed tomorrow since from my research I know the egg yolk decreases water quality. Love watching my teeny tiny betta fry and can鈥檛 wait to watch them grow.
Water Cloud Wood Sky Freezing

Water Tints and shades Automotive lighting Midnight Sky

Amber Font Tints and shades Automotive lighting Water

Sorry for the iffy photo quality, I don鈥檛 have my camera set up yet to try and get better pictures so these are all mobile phones.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Babies are free swimming very nicely. They鈥檙e also enjoying the egg yolk. I haven鈥檛 witnessed any eating the live microorganisms from the Java fern but I鈥檓 sure they have. They鈥檝e already seemingly grown some, I am hopeful they鈥檒l continue this quick growing pace.
Water Atmosphere Liquid Atmospheric phenomenon Insect

*Also is there a way to put videos on this? I have some cool ones of the betta fry eating the egg yolk that I鈥檇 like to put here but I can鈥檛 find the section to attach a video. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
*Also is there a way to put videos on this? I have some cool ones of the betta fry eating the egg yolk that I鈥檇 like to put here but I can鈥檛 find the section to attach a video. Your help would be appreciated. Thanks!
I think you can only put videos from youtube. I'm not sure though... @RussellTheShihTzu

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Update: My beautiful babies are doing very well! Have had one die off, but that鈥檚 part of raising and keeping animals. They鈥檙e now sharing space with a tiger nerite snail to help take care of any excess food.
Firstly here are links to YouTube videos of them eating the egg yolk and being cute that I wanted to post in the previous update.

Cloud Automotive lighting Sky Wood Tints and shades

LOVE this picture! 鉂 Little fry in a big big world. 馃寧

Water Plant Astronomical object Terrestrial plant Aquatic plant

Water Underwater Fish Fluid Fin

A few of my fry. I especially love the second one, it already looks like it might be a copper with its iridescent sheen. It is so hard to believe that bettas start out this tiny.
*please ignore the muck and smudges on the glass 馃 I鈥檓 cleaning it tomorrow

I am having so much fun with this group that I am starting a second betta breeding project tomorrow. It is going to be hopefully be a copper koi PK x red Cambodian marble double ray CT. I鈥檝e tried pairing my koi male briefly before without success since he was quite aggressive and harmful to the female. He didn鈥檛 cause any fatalities but I am a bit hesitant to give him another chance. I鈥檝e conditioned him up a bit more and I鈥檒l be watching this pair very closely as I introduce them. I鈥檒l be starting a new spawn log if that breeding is a success. I know the female is 100% ready so I might just cross her with a different male if my koi proves to be a bad choice for breeding. Wish me luck! 馃槉

Registered
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Update: They are starting to really grow and their size differences are quite noticeable on a day to day basis. They still have a long ways to go but I am very pleased with how they鈥檙e doing. Here are some pictures and a video I took of one of them at their midday feeding. 馃槉
Liquid Water Fluid Wood Sky

Water Cloud Underwater Marine biology Fish

Water Liquid Fluid Underwater Marine biology

This last one is really starting to get a lot of iridescence. A very promising potential copper Betta fry.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Update: baby bettas are doing good. Split the group in half and moved into two different tanks. Separated based upon the larger ones in one tank and smaller ones in the other, since there was one fry in particular that was getting to be almost 2x bigger even though I spread the food out evenly. Got a good count, a little over 20 beta fry from this pairing. Not the biggest spawn but it is good enough for me.

Water Liquid Fluid Reptile Wood

Plant Fin Fish Water Tail

Brown Water Liquid Fluid Amber

Eyelash Automotive lighting Window Tints and shades Tree

This might be my last update for just a bit. I鈥檓 having surgery soon so not sure if I鈥檒l be up to taking pictures or updating the forum, but it鈥檒l depend on how I feel.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
UPDATE: Thanks for those that wished me luck with my surgery. Unfortunately had a bit of a flop happen with both of my spawns. My parents did their best to care for them while I was out of commission but all of smaller sized fry that I grouped together died off and in the larger group of fry only the one giant one survived. I think that one fry is a bit of a cannibal which is why none of the other larger fry had a chance at surviving.
I know with me being out of commission unable to give them the best care and how much difficulty I鈥檝e had performing water changes had a huge contribution to this unfortunate failure.

I鈥檝e did a repeat breeding of my Copper male with the Veiltail female. I didn鈥檛 see many eggs so I pulled her out and put my Marble CT female with him some. So my future spawn will be a mixing pot of fry. Since I still have that one strong sole survivor of the original cross I will use this spawn log to update y鈥檃ll on that one鈥檚 progress and I will use the second spawn log to follow this mystery, mixed spawn.

I will try to get some new pictures of the little monster tomorrow.

Any tips y鈥檃ll can give me to make water changes and cleaning the tank with tiny fry easier would be a godsend.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts