Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, First post, first tank.

I am wanting to get into tanks and have decided to go with a planted Betta tank first to get the plants down before I attempt multiple fish. I am wanting and have the room available for a 5 gallon perfectly. I have seen multiple 5 gallon planted Betta tanks online with amazing results. Most seem to have some shrimp and maybe some tetras, but all have had great results with the plant aspects.

The owner of the local aquarium shop says that a 5 gallon would be too small and difficult to maintain and I should go with at least a 10 gallon or up. He also did not sell anything below a 10 gallon and had them on sale. lol

I am really wanting to start small in this hobby and don't mind a little more care and attention to have a smaller tank.

Will a 5 gallon tank be too small? Are the ones I see online probably by very experienced people, or would I be able to do the same thing with time and patience?

Thanks for the input and am looking forward to getting into the aquarium hobby.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
all of our tanks are planted, we have 2,3,5,6,7,8,10,20,40, and a 46 gallon with all types of fish,shrimp and snails, the smaller tanks are a bit more difficult due to how big and fast most plants grow, there are smaller plants crypts and buces that work well but buces get pricey fast

·
Registered
72 Posts
Welcome and congrats! I have a filtered 23L Fluval Edge (it has 5.5 gallons of water in it) that has plants, I have also seen some awesome planted Edges the same size. I used primarily Rhizome plants because I didnt plan ahead for live plants. They seem to be very hearty, are extremely easy, and didn't require special equipment or substrates to grow. It has constantly evolved and has been lots of fun.

I haven't noticed any additional maintenance due to the size. I have one Betta with no plans to add additional stock. More plants though! Every aquarium requires water changes regardless of size. My aquarium is cycled I have had my fish for three weeks and did my first partial water change yesterday.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Hey there, I am learning fast at this great hobby. I researched everything and chose a five gallon with filter and heater for Zen, and am in process of cycling the tank. I think it is perfect size and can handle some nice plants and starts out beautiful and only gets better as plants grow. Amount of water after gravel substrate and largish sponge filter: 3.75 gallons. He has one tankmate, a cute snail which i may regret if there is reproduction. LFS was out of the nerites.

I have a very large anubia, a marimo moss ball a bit of hornswort and will be adding a moss wall loosely around/to hide the filter. For five gallons planted, consider a LARGE footprint as this will give you more floorspace to plant, maybe a bookshelf design (they are very eye-catching) and the bookshelf is somewhat shallow, making it easy to plant, rearrange and good for betta cause they don't have to swim so far to get to surface.

Have fun with this! there is a nice 6.6 gallon bookshelf design on the market if you have the room for it. They are long and narrow.

·
Registered
4,470 Posts
I have two 2.6 and a 3 and a 5 gallon all with plants and they are doing just fine.
I have a natural planted tanks, with dirt and gravel to top it off. Just get good lighting and snails to give the plants a boost of food. you might also need ferts for the plants if they need it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.