Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I have 2 betta's both in 5 gallon tanks now I wan not aware of cycling until I had the fish already in them ... ( I should have looked into setting up a tank before) so the one tank has a ph of 6.5 ammonia is 0 both nitrates are 0 but the water is super cloudy with a film on top I am guessing its a bacteria bloom! the other tank has a ph of 7.5 the nitrates are both 0 but the ammonia is at .5 now I am not sure if the tank is cycling and that is why the ammonia is up.. I check the water every few days... I have used a gravel vacuum and done a 25% water change I have had the fish for 3 weeks... I don't wanna hurt the fish in any way and wanna know what i should be doing to fix the tanks conditions.....

·
RusselltheShihTzu
21,471 Posts
First, Welcome to the Forum!

Read this thread. It will be a great help:
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=507585

I strongly suggest you get Seachem Prime. Dosing at two drops per day per gallon would help keep the Ammonia "locked" or harmless.

IMO, there is nothing wrong with fish-in cycling if you keep up with necessary water changes as Betta are only exposed to minute amounts of Ammonia. As they are very hardy fish this little bit doesn't hurt them.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
oh good! I didn't wanna hurt them! and I will have to pick some prime up.. I will also read the link you sent me! My daughter and I love our new fish and I just wanna make sure I take care of our fish properly! :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts