Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi! I was thinking about getting my very first betta in the future, but I’m not sure what tank size to go with. I would love to get a female betta (or a sorority- advice on that please) and was wondering if a 5 gallon would do or if I should go with a 10.

I was also wondering if it would be ok to try a sorority as mentioned above or if that wouldn’t be smart as a first time betta owner. Of course if I were to do that I would do plenty of research and do a 10 gallon tank

advice would be appreciated. Thanks! ❤

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Bettas are a great choice! They're such fun little critters with so much personality!

There are many different opinions on the minimum tank size for a Betta, but most agree to it being 5gals.

I have personally never had a sorority, I've honestly never even had a female Betta before.
But I do know, the more in a sorority the better generally. You don't want just two or three fish. More is better incase one of them turns out a bully, since they'll pick on the one fish if it's just two of them. And the more fish there are, the more the picking on is spread out, if there is any.

And there's the chance, that even if you do everything right, things can go downhill and you could lose a kid or two.

I'm not sure if you could keep a sorority in a ten gallon, I personally wouldn't, but you could always divide the tank and have a female on each side!

You can try a sorority if you wish, but even as someone's who had males for several years, I would be nervous since I've never tried one of my boys with a fish tankmate. And since Bettas are naturally aggressive towards each other..
Its really up to you though!!

Other people will come with more information I'm sure, but I hope this is of some help!

Thank you! I really appreciate the help! I was thinking of dividing the tank, and if I did would a mesh-like divider work, so the water can still pass through and the bettas can see each other? I've also read that females need 10 gallon aquariums each and then others have had them split in a 10 gallon so I'm pretty confused lol.
I did read from numerous sources that claimed keeping 4 or 5 bettas in a ten gallon was fine, but if splitting the tank for two bettas works better then I would be more than happy to try that :unsure:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
People have tried 4-5 kiddos in a tank before, but the smaller the space the more likely they are to have disagreements. Atleast from what I've heard.

Something like that would work, they make aquarium specific ones!

That's more of an opinion. There are, many, many, different opinions on minimum tank size for Bettas. Some think they can be kept in vases, some think a gallon is good, others no less than 5gals, and some no less than 10gals.
But you can certainly split a 10gal in half and have a female on each side, people do that with males too. Though you never want to do it with a male, and a female, since it'll stress them out.

Whether you want to divide and just have two females, try a sorority, or even just have one, that's up to you. What are you comfortable with doing?
I think it would be awesome to have a sorority in the future but for right now I don't think I am experienced enough and I don't have the space to buy a larger tank. I think I'm going to try two females in a divided 10 gal. Thank you so much for your help!! 😊❤

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Given that even experienced betta keepers have had sororities crash on them, I would very strongly advise against getting a sorority. I think you should either try dividing the tank (make sure that they can’t jump the divider though) or just keep one betta and gain your footing. I hope that helps! Bettas are amazing animals and you will fall in love with them immediately.
Ok, thank you!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi, welcome to the forum! I know you have replies already, but i just wanted to reply because why not lol : )

I never had a female betta before, but Iam pretty sure they can be in five gallons! Because you're a new betta keeper (or a future one), I would recommend having experience with bettas in tanks by themselves before keeping a sorority tank. But like Eridanus said, its up to you!!

Ok, only now I saw that you might be dividing the 10 gallon tank. I recommend that more than having a sorority tank, because it might be easier for new betta owners!

Anyways, good luck on the bettas and try to update us once you get them :)
I would start with a single betta in a 5 gallon (filtered, heated). This will kind of give you a preview of how much time and effort is required to maintain a tank before you try it with more fish.

Also, keep in mind that even if you have a divided tank, you should have a critter keeper or some other small tank as well as a "hospital." If one fish gets sick you'll need a way to stop the illness from spreading to the fish on the other side of the divider.

I keep some of my fish in 3 gallon tanks, but anything smaller than 5 is a big commitment because you have to change the water frequently. Basically, the smaller the tank, the more maintenance is required.

I would not recommend a sorority. I once had a small sorority in a 20g and everything was fine until one of my fish died. Once that happened, their little hierarchy was thrown off and they started attacking each other and needed to be separated. Sometimes there isn't a triggering event like that and they just turn on each other one day.
thank you both! I really appreciate all the help ❤

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I would never really recommend having a female betta in anything under 5 gallons. They have really short fins and they are very fast. Some of them also like jumping, so keep on a tight lid. Betta sororities take a lot of work and research. It is always recommended to have sororities with female bettas that grew up with each other. I recommend just stick with your first female betta, getting to know her. I have always loved my female bettas. 😊Good luck and don't forget to post pics! 💕
ok thanks! do you think it would work if I went for a 10 gal. divided tank for two females?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.