Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's almost been a week since I purchased my first betta Dave and I just wanted to make sure he's okay.
Until today he has stayed in a one gallon bowl. I did my research and found out bettas need at least 2.5 gallons but, considering I live a life of extremes, I went ahead and bought him a 5 gallon tank. He now has a filter, a heater, and more space. The only thing he's missing at the moment are more decorations. I could tell he was stressed in his one gallon bowl (Mainly because of the fluctuating temperature) and I want what's best for him. I'm sure Dave is just trying to get used to his new surroundings, but his behavior has been pretty erratic so far. His filter is set to the lowest setting and Dave seems obsessed with it. He's constantly swimming under it, trying to get behind it, and sometimes swims really fast to the other side of the tank and then back again. He can't seem to calm down. Is the filter too strong, even at it's lowest? Is it something else entirely?
I'm trying really hard to be a good fish owner and I can't bare to think about Dave being unhappy :( Please help!

·
Banned
580 Posts
ur doing fine esp with the upgrading -- if he looks like he is struggling swimming try a sponge over the intake or stuff in over the top of the filter to baffle it ...... once u get some decorations and a hiding place and hes all done being excited dave will calm down

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
You should get some decor and silk or live plants soon. Large open water tend to stress bettas out.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Welcome and good luck with your betta, Dave. Post pics of him so we can see!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts