Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well today I finally bit the bullet, chucked a pair in a spawning tank, and have started the conditioning process.

The male was bred by Interbettas, and the female is a sibling with similar colouring and nice enough form. Hoping to gets lots and lots of marble females as I'm essentially a krazy kolour breeder :lol: Have another pair of marble HMs from Interbettas that I will probably be attempting to spawn as well.

Soon as the water clears I will get some nice shots of them strutting their stuff.

Wish me luck! Hopefully his tail doesn't get chomped as he is the nicest male I own appearance wise.

Figured if I'm hatching out BBS and culturing grindals, MWs and VEs for my wild betta and pseudomugil fry, might as well add splendens to the mix as well haha.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Haha at the moment not much to report. They ate some frozen bloodworms and the female is trying to figure out why she can't get out of the jar.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got some photos of the pair and my set-up. Female is still pretty freaked but hoping she settles down soon. She is usually yellow and blue, but got washed out when I came over.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
They have been conditioned for the past two week on live and frozen foods, plus their regular pellets along with a couple of my other pairs as I wasn't sure who I was breeding.

By 'conditioning' I meant introducing them to each other and getting the male to get his butt into gear and build a bubblenest. Probably should have said the 'introduction/flirtation' stage but couldn't think of what to call it at the time.

Just keeping the good food up to them until the female is released from her jar.

·
Registered
639 Posts
As far as feeding, all my fish are always conditioned... I feed nothing but frozen or live foods... So conditioning for me as well just means introducing and getting them used to each other.....

Jeff.

·
Registered
8,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Well I took the original female out as she was just lying non-responsive on the bottom of the jar and the male lost complete interest in doing anything but swimming around.

Put in a super blue HMPK female who is a little hornbag and who I was originally going to cross him with. She barred up almost immediately and there is now a nice-sized bubblenest that the male has been working on overnight.

Going to give them a couple more days and judging by their behaviour will let the female out and see how things go.

Hopefully if I get a nice male out of these two, the plan is to cross back to the original sibling sister to try and maintain the colour and form.

He actually has two bubblenests. Just found one under his cup.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts