21 - 40 of 40 Posts

Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
I think it's time for an update, don't you?? 馃ぃ 馃ぃ LOL

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I think it's time for an update, don't you?? 馃ぃ 馃ぃ LOL
I鈥檝e been watching the tank obsessively and so far I don鈥檛 see much, the dads also not at the nest anymore soooo鈥 fingers crossed I have a positive update by tonight?? 馃槵馃槵

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #24 · (Edited)
Sadly, I don鈥檛 have a positive update :( I don鈥檛 see any fry and I鈥檓 keeping my hopes up that there are some but I鈥檓 somewhat doubtful as the male has not been monitoring the nest anymore. The particles that I posted about in betta fish emergency鈥檚 seem to have gotten worse and I鈥檓 starting to think it might be an explosion of infusoria but I鈥檓 still not sure and have yet to get any answers. I鈥檓 hoping they鈥檙e not a problem, they haven鈥檛 seemed to be so far, but I might treat the tank with some Artemis and herbtana just to be safe now that I鈥檓 not as concerned about harming any fry that may be in the tank. I鈥檒l also start conditioning the parents and hopefully they鈥檒l try again soon. I鈥檒l post some pictures of the particles here as well and maybe someone on this thread might have some answers for me.

update:
I found lots of fry- yay!!
Buuuuttt I was doing a water change to get rid of some particles鈥 oops :/ I put the same water back in when I found them sooooo maybe they鈥檒l be okay??? 馃馃 they鈥檙e not confined to the nest anymore but they鈥檙e all swimming around on their own so maybe they don鈥檛 need to be anymore. Dads freaking out and frantically trying to find them all though while flaring at me occasionally鈥. Sorry buddy!! 馃槵 at least the particles are all broken up 馃槄馃槄

Attachments

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Lots of tiny fry swimmin around in the tank!! Dad remade the bubble nest but most have take to chilling out by the hog wart :) they鈥檙e starting to explore a few inches down into the water as well! They鈥檙e sooooo small it鈥檚 hard to get good pictures of them but I tried!!

note: yes, I know my water is cloudy with particles right now. It鈥檚 a problem I鈥檝e posted aboutin fish emergencies and am still waiting on answers about. Luckily, I'm pretty sure they are just infusoria and are actually a good first good for the little guys

Attachments

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
All the fry are doing great!! They鈥檙e swimming around more and more and neither parent has been eating them (yay!) my original plan was to keep the male and female together in the same tank permanently, a lot of the research that I did before getting them said I could do that and so far I haven鈥檛 had any issues with this. BUT鈥. THERE ARE MORE EGGS IN THE NEST AGAIN!!! So it seems like if I keep them together they might be spawning a lot. If I keep their diets really high in nutrition-basically keeping them conditioned all the time- will that be safe for them? I want what鈥檚 best for my parents and I鈥檓 just not sure if them breeding so often is healthy? I don鈥檛 know. I knew I could expect frequent spawns but I didn鈥檛 realize it would be THIS frequent. Do I need to turn the temperature down? It鈥檚 at about 79 right now. Any thoughts from anyone? Does anyone with an imbellis pair have any advice based on their experience?

Attachments

Registered
10 adults betta, 2 spawns of baby betta.
I鈥檓 just not sure if them breeding so often is healthy?
Breeding em' is fine but bear in mind maintaining all those babies aren't thaaat easy when they're bigger as some of em' will start to fight one another. When they're bigger you need to separate the males and females. What's your plan when the fry is getting bigger?

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #30 · (Edited)
Breeding em' is fine but bear in mind maintaining all those babies aren't thaaat easy when they're bigger as some of em' will start to fight one another. When they're bigger you need to separate the males and females. What's your plan when the fry is getting bigger?
I have some grow out tanks ready and will be able to get more set up easily if I don鈥檛 have enough. Once they鈥檙e old enough I plan on selling and giving away quite a few of them as I don鈥檛 have the space to expand and keep them all :)

edit: I know I have some time before I have to think about this but does anyone know how old my baby鈥檚 should be before I ship them? I tried to find some information online and around the forum but I couldn鈥檛 really find anything and I want to make sure when I sell the little guys and have to ship them I do it ethically

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
I am sad to say I don鈥檛 see any fry in the tank anymore. I added some ghost shrimp to the tank to try to keep the bottom clean so the ammonia levels wouldn鈥檛 rise so much and I think it threw the balance off in the tank :( im going to get the tank actually ready for fry this time around (I wasn鈥檛 able to last time since I wasn鈥檛 expecting fry so quickly) and hopefully the parents will spawn again soon. I鈥檒l update when I have any news!

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Several updates to make.

Firstly, I鈥檝e added some cory catfish and a filter to the tank. I added three corys about a week ago and at first it was iffy but the bettas have settled in to having some new tank mates. I wanted something to help me clean the tank when there鈥檚 fry and thought corys and a filter would be the best option. I have one spotted, one peppered, and one upside down. The filter is a fluval aquaclear w yuh zeolite instead of charcoal in a (failed) attempt to preserve the black water effect I have in the tank.

Also, I鈥檝e finally named the bettas! When I was picking out the corys my dad (accidentally) named one squishy and I didn鈥檛 think it was fair for the corys to have names and not the bettas. I chose Vietnamese names since that鈥檚 where the fish are from and I couldn鈥檛 think of anything else I liked better. I just had to use google translate and I didn鈥檛 pick the top translations so they鈥檙e likely very loose translations. I named the male s峄憈 s岷痭g (or s岷痭g for short) meaning fire since his vibrant red reminds me of embers or flames. The female is x岷 tr谩 (or x岷) meaning cute.

lastly, WE HAVE MORE EGGS!! I鈥檝e been feeding them really well since last time and before the changes they seemed ready to spawn again but I wanted to get everything set up before there were eggs in the tank. When I added the other fish and the filter they took a day or two to adjust before the male started experimenting with different locations for a new bubble nest. Apparently he settled on a tiny little on in the corner behind the heater.that was his favorite place to hide before he started warming up to me a bit (yay!) so I suppose I鈥檓 not surprised he deemed it a safe place for his babies.

Attachments

Registered
Dusk

Registered
60 litres with 2 blue rams, my cat!
I need some baby pics to cheer me up. I lost my Hendras and I really need those baby pics. So can we have the baby piiiiiicssss?

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I need some baby pics to cheer me up. I lost my Hendras and I really need those baby pics. So can we have the baby piiiiiicssss?
I鈥檝e been having a hard time getting any- they鈥檙e all sooo tinyyy!! Here鈥檚 some I do have though ;)

Attachments

Registered
Dusk
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Sad day, dad ate most of the babies :/ I only see one in there now. Hopefully that means there鈥檚 a few more that are just hiding really well but I鈥檓 not sure. I鈥檒l keep y鈥檃ll updated on how this fry is doing and on any future babies I get. Also, both the parents have just about fully warmed up to me!! The Male still gets a little skittish when I put my hand above the tank to move the lid but he comes right back for the food afterwards :p

21 - 40 of 40 Posts