Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
809 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm just curious. Dumbledore sometimes appears to be...Bored. He just kinda swims back and forth of his tank (all over the tank not just at the bottom so I know he isn't sick) sometimes with bursts of energy, wiggling and twisting, visits his bubble nest, swims through his log, stops and begs for food then repeats. Is there anything I can do for him to give him a little more...Activity? Or is that just kinda what bettas do? I've heard of bottle caps, but I'm not familiar with it.

·
Registered
737 Posts
That is pretty much what they do. :p If he ever starts eating his fins (you won't see him do it, he'll just have mysterious U shaped chunks missing from his fins with no discoloration) THEN he's bored.

Some activities anyway:
-Show him a mirror for a few minutes a few times a week so he can flare at it.
-I've seen people put hollow plastic ping pong balls that float in betta tanks and their bettas push them around
-And, of course, more decorations/re-arranging decorations during some of your water changes

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
I like getting them an occassional "gift" :) Like a new hidey spot!!! Mine loved (and still do love) random new decor xD

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Also, try some live food, like mosquito larvae! :D Pog LOVES mosquito larvae! Also, try getting a clean pencil and putting the eraser like half a cm into the water, and let them chase it over the top, or try chasing them with a gravel rake or something. They DO need exercis, it depends on your tank size, really, what you can do.

·
Registered
11,653 Posts
My angry grumpy old man Georgie, you can chase and get him to chase. Some are scardy cats :lol: some aren't!

·
Registered
636 Posts
I used to use one of my growing onion bulbs to taunt Sonas and get him to chase. That was before the roots really grew out though. Now, I tend to just use my finger XD he'll bite it once and a while (as he associates it with food). I'll do it a little bit every day, but usually not for long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZ-08HydK8g&feature=plcp

1 - 6 of 6 Posts