Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

My Fish cannot swim and is just laying down on the bottom of his tank, as shown in the picture. His fins appeared to clump together and he tried to swim but, maybe because his fins clumped, he can't. He is still breathing but it I'm worried that because he can't swim he will stop soon. :(

We recently changed his water from distilled to bottled water (we do not have access to conditioner for the water) because we read that distilled water is terrible for Bettas, but he has not gotten better. I am really worried with what is wrong with him and what I can do! We took water out of his tank making the distance for air easier to get but he does not move, not even for food.

·
Registered
433 Posts
How did you switch his water? Did you just do a 100% change all at once, or did you slowly and gradually introduce it? Amazon sells water conditioner... Don't give up hope!!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We did a little more than a 50% change of water. Do you think that he is getting these symptoms from the water or is there another factor here? Apparently my roommate (who had him over break) had put him in distilled water before and he was fine but now he can't swim!
And thank you I will order the water conditioner, hopefully that can help him.

·
Registered
433 Posts
Sounds like a really fast water change! if you're changing types in the future, start with 75% old, 25% new and every week put more of the new method in.
It very well could be the water... sometimes they dont show symptoms right away. If you can get em quick, try putting live plants in the tank. They provide better oxygen in the water so he won't have to try to get up to the surface as much... Was he in the bottled water, then in distilled, then back to bottled water?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts