Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My fish seems to always be in a half flare, but he's perfectly healthy. He eats like a champ and is very active. Could there be a certain color that is setting him off?

·
Registered
21 Posts
It might just be his personality. I have a very healthy betta I've had for about two years who has been in a state of flaring for most of the time since I got him. I think some of them just like to flare.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It might just be his personality. I have a very healthy betta I've had for about two years who has been in a state of flaring for most of the time since I got him. I think some of them just like to flare.
okay good. yeah he's a red halfmoon, he's kind of a butthead at times haha. But he's an awesome fish

·
Registered
23 Posts
My betta is a very aggressive one (no tankmates, he doesn't like my finger, etc) and flares all the time at everything. Seriously, he takes very few breaks. But he eats well, is extremely active, healthy by all visible parameters, etc. He's just a crabby guy.

Given that he shows no signs of stress beyond natural aggressive tendencies I don't sweat it, and my advice to you is to do the same. If nothing else is wrong, it's just his personality and isn't causing harm :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My betta is a very aggressive one (no tankmates, he doesn't like my finger, etc) and flares all the time at everything. Seriously, he takes very few breaks. But he eats well, is extremely active, healthy by all visible parameters, etc. He's just a crabby guy.

Given that he shows no signs of stress beyond natural aggressive tendencies I don't sweat it, and my advice to you is to do the same. If nothing else is wrong, it's just his personality and isn't causing harm :)
Okay good that had me worried. So he's just being agressive/territorial?

·
Registered
271 Posts
If he ever flares too much, cover his tank with a thick blanket to calm him down.

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
No. Prolonged periods of darkness might, but a little bit of dark can have a calming effect. For instance, if you ever have to travel with the betta, keeping them in the dark during transit can help keep them calm. :)

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Prolonged periods of darkness might, but a little bit of dark can have a calming effect. For instance, if you ever have to travel with the betta, keeping them in the dark during transit can help keep them calm. :)
i put it on him last night and uncovered him this morning and he was fine

·
Registered
356 Posts
My buddy Antione does the same thing. he hardly ever fully flares and ive yet to see him go so far as to puff out his gills, but hes constantly, half flared. He's having some problems with fin curling :/ but other than that hes completely normal :) its kinda cute when he swims, he pushes all his fins back to help him move and the second he stops he whips them back out in the half flare thing haha funny to watch

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
My buddy Antione does the same thing. he hardly ever fully flares and ive yet to see him go so far as to puff out his gills, but hes constantly, half flared. He's having some problems with fin curling :/ but other than that hes completely normal :) its kinda cute when he swims, he pushes all his fins back to help him move and the second he stops he whips them back out in the half flare thing haha funny to watch
he sounds really cute. Mine can be kind of a jerk at times

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
i find him adorable :D haha though i do kinda wish he was more aggressive sometimes. i feel like if i had another with his personality they could be tank mates haha (not that id ever try it!)
I'm the opposite haha I wish mine was less agressive

1 - 13 of 13 Posts