Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last night, I was about to fall asleep when i heard rocks jostling. Knowing this was Zora (my current betta), I turned on my lamp and saw that he got himself caught on a plant that i had in his tank. I pulled it out and it looked like he was dead but on closer inspection he was still breathing. One thing, why does he have random spazz attacks at night? Also, when he acted dead, was he just stunned?

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
When you say "at night" do you mean shortly after you turn off the light?

If you turn off his light and plunge him into complete darkness, he will freak out. This is because fish don't have an adjustable pupil or eyelid like our eyes. They need to gradually adjust to both darkness and light by allowing the rods and cones to move in adjustment to the light. Scientific studies have shown this takes about an hour. Try leaving the room light on for a while after you turn out his light to let his eyes get used to lower light (basically creating an artificial twilight).

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When you say "at night" do you mean shortly after you turn off the light?

If you turn off his light and plunge him into complete darkness, he will freak out. This is because fish don't have an adjustable pupil or eyelid like our eyes. They need to gradually adjust to both darkness and light by allowing the rods and cones to move in adjustment to the light. Scientific studies have shown this takes about an hour. Try leaving the room light on for a while after you turn out his light to let his eyes get used to lower light (basically creating an artificial twilight).
he doesn't have a light

·
Registered
43 Posts
than turn on your lamp at night and then turn it off after about an hour, but makesure he still has a nightlight.

·
Registered
2,448 Posts
than turn on your lamp at night and then turn it off after about an hour, but makesure he still has a nightlight.
Actually fish need a period of complete darkness to replicate their natural circadian rhythm. It's something that has evolved over many millennia, and is biologically programmed into his brain.

Your fish doesn't need a night light. Just try not to have as many things in the aquarium that he can get stuck in.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Actually fish need a period of complete darkness to replicate their natural circadian rhythm. It's something that has evolved over many millennia, and is biologically programmed into his brain.

Your fish doesn't need a night light. Just try not to have as many things in the aquarium that he can get stuck in.
I got two plants in there I'm thinking about taking one of them out

1 - 9 of 9 Posts