Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a random (and possibly great idea) last night. At some point, we've all left our fish unattended while we went on vacation or to visit family for the holidays. So what if there was a fish sitter (like a cat sitter) that you could hire to look out for your fish? Obviously this person would have to be have extremely good knowledge of fish keeping - how to properly perform water changes, how to test the water, how to care for planted tanks, how to care for the different species of fish you have, etc.

Obviously bettas can be left alone for a quite a while without any care but you are all lying if you say you don't worry about your fish while on week long (or longer) vacations.

So basically,
- ask for a small fee to care for your fish and look for signs of illness
- set up a schedule to come by
- set up some way to access to the house - either a key, or get let in by a roommate or neighbor
- agree on what you will do for the fish - feeding, water changes, test the water etc
- entertain the fish for a bit and look for signs of illness

This also would be good if one of your fish gets sick right before you leave and you are worried about leaving them alone or you need someone dose medication.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Great idea!!! Though I'm the one who will be on a lot of vacations... I don't know of any knowledgeable fish keepers in my area!!! But if it were along time you could easily ship your fish to someone and they can care for your fish for however long your gone and then they'll ship back!!! Though money will play a big part.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes, money would play a big part of course.

I never thought of the shipping thing - although since shipping is stressful for fish I wouldn't want to do it unless the fish would be there for at least a month.

·
Premium Member
677 Posts
This idea come up for college kids with Betta fish. They have to go home at reading week and Christmas etc and if you are one that does NOT go home you can pet sit or do water changes for a small fee weekly. The down side to this little business was students leaving their fish at the end of the semester for the pet sitter... forever. Or the pet sitter was so disgusted with some of the students they wanted to rescue them all from their clients.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would be the type of person that would want to rescue abused fish....

I also realized another problem... I would be so hesitant to leave my fish in someone else's care.... I get so nervous letting my father feed my fish when he comes to look after my apartment. If I were to hire someone, it would have to be someone that I fully trusted and knew that they knew how to care for fish properly.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Then again I can always ship to you Vivian lol haha your an awesome fish keeper and this whole community knows it! But you may end up keepin our fishes and "borrow" them for awhile ;) haha

·
Banned
688 Posts
I made the mistake of leaving my fish in someone's care while I was in Thailand. I cannot describe how horrible the conditions were when I came back. But having said that, if someone specialized in fish sitting and had a good knowledge of tank maintenance and proper care, I'd try it again

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Then again I can always ship to you Vivian lol haha your an awesome fish keeper and this whole community knows it! But you may end up keepin our fishes and "borrow" them for awhile ;) haha
hahaha awe thank you!

I made the mistake of leaving my fish in someone's care while I was in Thailand. I cannot describe how horrible the conditions were when I came back. But having said that, if someone specialized in fish sitting and had a good knowledge of tank maintenance and proper care, I'd try it again
Yeah, that is kind of the idea I was going with. I've seen so many horror stories on here when people have left their fish in care of friends/neighbors/parents and came home to disasters. So instead of asking someone who knows little to nothing about fish keeping and tank maintenance and giving them a crash course, you can have someone who is experienced keep an eye on your fish.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts