Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gone for about a month and a half visiting my parents for the holidays. I left my roommates to watch my aquarium. A 10 gallon heavily planted sorority with 4 fish. When I came back home, one fish was dead, and had been for a while (only her decomposing head was left). They said they had been keeping up with water changes but I really have no clue what went on while I was gone.

2 fish were active and appeared fine despite having visible external parasites. But last of the remaining 3 fish (named Linguine), was wedged between the glass and the sponge (from a sponge filter) that I use to slow the intake on my filter. I put fish into isolation and started treatment. I am also treating the aquarium. The other fish seem to be recovering fine, but Linguine is not doing well. I am worried there is something else wrong with her: one gill looks protruded, she has one cloudy eye, her mouth appears red (not sure if its just her marbling more), and her spine appears sort of curved downward. I am worried that the position she kept putting herself into between the glass and the filter damaged her spine. Please let me know what you think.

(Sorry about the bad pictures. I can get more pictures from the side if I need to when I do a water change.)
Housing:

How many gallons is your tank? -10 gal sorority

Does it have a filter? -yes

Does it have a heater? -yes

What temperature is your tank? -78 degrees F

Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? -no

Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? - (formerly) 3 other female Bettas

Food:

What food brand do you use? -Hikari bio-gold

Do you feed flakes or pellets? -Pellets (see above)

Freeze-dried? -no

How often do you feed your Betta? How much? -Everyday. 4-5 pellets

Maintenance:

Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? -weekly

What percentage of water did you change? -50%

What is the source of your water? -tap with dechlor.

Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? -vacuum

What additives do you use other than conditioner? What brand of conditioner? -API stress coat

Water Parameters:

What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0

Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: 0

pH: 6.5

Hardness (GH): n/a

Alkalinity (KH): n/a

Symptoms and Treatment:

When did you first notice the symptoms? -1 week ago

How has your Betta’s appearance changed? - visible external parasites (possibly velvet?), one gill looks protruded, one cloudy eye, mouth appears red (not sure if its just her marbling her coloration has changed a lot), spine appears sort of curved downward

How has your Betta’s behavior changed? -when she was still in the aquarium she was sandwiching herself between glass of the aquarium and the sponge intake cover on my filter. She appears to be swimming more slowly and poorly (possibly due to spine issue?)

Is your Betta still eating? -yes

Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? -All fish were put into separate hospital tanks. I’m treating using imagitarium parasite remedy for the external parasites (There was no API general cure at my petco), following instructions on the bottle, and doing daily water changes.

Does your Betta have any history of being ill? -She went from the dominant female in the sorority to the weakest link and was picked on.

How long have you owned your Betta? -6 months

Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? -no she was from a breeder. Arrived healthy.

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
564 Posts
Hi there. I can't really see the external parasite you are talking about. This sounds like a mixture of a bacterial infection and possible parasites. I would start the one in the photos on Kanaplex ASAP.

Can you give more details about the external parasites?

·
Registered
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi there. I can't really see the external parasite you are talking about. This sounds like a mixture of a bacterial infection and possible parasites. I would start the one in the photos on Kanaplex ASAP.

Can you give more details about the external parasites?
It was what looked like dust on all of the fish. It hasn't been visible on any of the fish since the first two treatments. The other fish are acting normally - It's just something must be wrong with the fish in the photos. Do you think I should stop the treatment for that fish and switch to kanaplex immediately? Or should I wait until I have done the last dose of the meds she has been on before starting?

·
Premium Member
2 chihuahuas, a chameleon, 4 betta splendens and 1 betta mahachai.
564 Posts
The two that have parasites continue the parasite med, but the third one start on Kana.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts