Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My betta, Fitzwilliam needs his home redone. He's my baby, I've had him for the longest time, and he's outlived the rest. He may just be a VT, but he's my VT. And he deserves a better looking home than what he has. I just moved 2 endlers from the tank, so he has it ALL to himself. And it's 8 gallons.

Here is his current tank:

Not too glamorous is it:-|

What do you think that this tank needs? I'm up for any options. Just an FYI I like live plants better than fake, and I'm not too fond of random spurts of color of decorations. I like natural:)

Let's go HGTV tank edition!

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
And as I am noticing there is no hiding cave for him? so I would check if there is something that you could use that is more on the natural side, I see some tanks, with rocks like flat rocks that you can pile up to make a cave, looks great..

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
He will love the extra room and all I see that you need is cave or something he can hide in or explore, Perseus loves his sea turtle cave it has and opening in front and back and he loves to swim though it, just be sure the holes are big enough so he doesnt get trapped.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I'm thinking some sort of cave either bought or with a driftwood that's like a cave.

The swords I'll look into. I think that a few different swords would be good along the back, and perhaps a big one in front of the filter to stop the flow even more.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
After looking online at Petsmart and Petco, I'm either going to do an all out natural theme or do nature with an Asian touch. There are some really cool decorations that I think would look cool. But which one?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Yeah, I'm thinking some sort of cave either bought or with a driftwood that's like a cave.

The swords I'll look into. I think that a few different swords would be good along the back, and perhaps a big one in front of the filter to stop the flow even more.
I use mine for air stone adjustment flow..they work well, if placed properly.;-)

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That's true:) ah the functionality of plants!

I'm really liking the Asian decorations that PetCo has online. I may buy him an Asian hut, even though he's named after one of England's most famous fictional males... I'll take a trip over to there tomorrow to see what they have!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
How about some Hornwort to floating on top of the water. I just love mine and so does Perseus he sleeps in it and looks so comfy cozy. I just added mine a couple of weeks ago and so happy I did and its doing great such a pretty shade of green. Do you soak and check your plants for snails ? I would if I were you I did and found babies hatching but put them in their own bowl and watching them grow, they are really cute.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
First thing I thought was.."He needs a castle" lol!

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How about some Hornwort to floating on top of the water. I just love mine and so does Perseus he sleeps in it and looks so comfy cozy. I just added mine a couple of weeks ago and so happy I did and its doing great such a pretty shade of green. Do you soak and check your plants for snails ? I would if I were you I did and found babies hatching but put them in their own bowl and watching them grow, they are really cute.
I've tried hornwort before, icky mess that was! I may give it another go though. I used to check plants for snails, but since I'm getting a puffer soon the more snails the better:)

First thing I thought was.."He needs a castle" lol!
I was sorta thinking that too. I'm not sure how well it would fit in, but his name is Fitzwilliam and I don't think that they sell replicas of Pemberly... So, the Asian theme may go if I find him the right castle.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice!!!

·
Registered
2,711 Posts
What helped my Hornwort was letting it soak in tank water I saved for it when doing water changes and putting it outside to get some sunlight cause since I added it to the tank it has not lost any needles at all just maybe a small one now and then. I am new to plants so I hope its stays as nice as it is now. I have heard it will lose needles when getting used to the tank water and thats normal. Might be worth a try if you got some more to let it soak in a bowl with your tank water for a week or so.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That's a great idea! I'll have to try that. I'm going to stop tomorrow and I might have to get some from the LFS.

So here are some cool castles I found, but I'd have to see them in person to see if Fitz can fit through them:)

or

·
Registered
264 Posts
You could make a coconut cave, cover it in moss..it makes it look really great, looks nice and natural :thumbsup:

Also, maybe keep an eye out for a piece or two of driftwood? You can tie moss to it, java fern, anubias..

Some other good low tech plants are swords, crypts...some good floating plants are frogbit (love this stuff!), hornwort, elodea (also known as anarchis, I believe) :)

Hope this helped!
Meg

·
Registered
29 Posts
That's a great idea! I'll have to try that. I'm going to stop tomorrow and I might have to get some from the LFS.

So here are some cool castles I found, but I'd have to see them in person to see if Fitz can fit through them:)

or
I own the second one. The hole is actually quite large, however the castle itself is very small. It was the perfect size for my tiny 1.5 gallon, but it will look SUPER SMALL in an 8 gallon.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
You could make a coconut cave, cover it in moss..it makes it look really great, looks nice and natural :thumbsup:

Also, maybe keep an eye out for a piece or two of driftwood? You can tie moss to it, java fern, anubias..

Some other good low tech plants are swords, crypts...some good floating plants are frogbit (love this stuff!), hornwort, elodea (also known as anarchis, I believe) :)

Hope this helped!
Meg
Thank you for the plant names! I'm definitely getting some frogbit, and maybe crypts. Thanks!

I own the second one. The hole is actually quite large, however the castle itself is very small. It was the perfect size for my tiny 1.5 gallon, but it will look SUPER SMALL in an 8 gallon.
Ok, thanks for the information! I really don't need the castle to be the focal point of the tank, that should be Fitzwilliam;-) But I'm not to sure about that one now. Thank you for the warning!!!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts