Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! So I feed my boy Caspian Omega One Betta Buffet Flakes. I've never been a huge fan of the pellets. Plus, they work out great since I got him as a baby, so I could crush to the size I need.

I have a question though that I haven't been able to find a straight answer for online. How much do you feed? Whenever someone feeds pellets I hear 1-2 pellets a day, but flakes vary in size compared to pellets.
What I usually do, is take one flake and crush it in-between my fingers so its more like 7-10 tiny pieces. I do that 1-2 times a day. (usually he gobbles that up in 20 seconds or so.)

Is that enough? Too much? Curious on your thoughts and what you do if you feed flakes? Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I feed the Omega One betta buffet also. When you feed flakes I take enough out of the can that I have about 12 flakes of different size and put them in ( I call it a small pinch) Ben eats almost all of it as quickly as he can. (he's a pig) The rest he does not eat floats around the tank from the current. When they get back to him he eats those too. I feed him enough that his belly is rounded. If those 12 flakes didn't round his belly I wait about 2 hours and give him a little more. He eats 4 times a day. and always lets me know when he wants more. If I put more in than he can eat in about 2 min. I reduce the amount I give him the next time he is fed. The flakes he doesn't eat find their way to the bottom of the tank or are filtered out. I also have mystery snails who help keep the tank clean and they will feed on those pieces at the bottom. So I recommend when feeding flakes feed enough that he eats all in about 2 min. or until his belly is rounded.

When you take the large flakes and break them up that's fine but one flake is really not enough. And what happens when you run out of large flakes? Just a small pinch is all that is needed. excess food will be filtered Or still floating when you do a water change make sure you scoop them out as you remove the water.

Again feed him until his belly is rounded. Best way to tell.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Okay, his belly does get rounded from what I can tell, but he's definitely always up for food haha. Good to know! I always figured that it would take me forever to go through a bottle of the stuff haha.

I will definitely feed more. :) Thanks for the feedback!

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Just don't over feed. I know the feeling of my boy always being up for food. as I said so many times Ben is a pig, and if I wouldn't control it he would eat until he exploded. LOL I usually go through a 28 oz can in about Three months. (Unless your a klutz like me and spill the can all over the floor trying to put the top on :() As you get down in the can the flakes get smaller and soon at the bottom there is dust. I take the dust and mix it into a new can. Ben doesn't really enjoy the dust, He complains it's to small and it messes up his filter. LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
haha yeah, thats my concern is over-feeding and getting a bloated betta. I'll definitely do more than one flake but I won't overdo it either. :) I've had the .28 oz can too, and I've only gone through like a third of it since I bought it in December, so yeah, I think I can step it up a bit haha.

My boy is silly, he bites my fingers anytime they get near because he thinks they are food haha.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Ha biting the hand that feeds. He really is trying to tell you he's hungry. But he could also be saying get your hand out of my tank. (unless it has food on it.) They all have their own personalities, and they each express themselves in many different ways. Right now I'm sitting at my desk and Ben is just hovering and flaring. I had put his cup that I use to change water in his tank in front of the tank. Ben loves to play with that cup and always swims in and out before I get it out of the tank. I keep telling him one of these days he'll find him self in the bucket. Like throwing the baby out with the bath water. LOL

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well I may have contributed towards the biting as I like to hand feed him bloodworms :p He jumps for them, so I think he just assumes fingers=food haha.

I feel so bad though, the first time he bit me he totally took me by surprise and I jerked my hand out of the water. He decided to hitch a ride and landed on my desk. I grabbed him and put him back in his tank immediately, but it was a bit scary to say the least. He was fine thankfully, just a little shaken up. :)

That's so funny, Ben sounds awesome! Its crazy how different each betta is, they are such rewarding pets for that reason! And so smart too!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts