Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a mix of red and purple substrate and they are not the same brand. I have been noticing that when I vacuum my tank there are little red flakes which I used to think were pieces of fish waste, but I realized after there were more and bigger flakes, and the red substrate started losing some color that the red is flaking off. Has anyone else experienced this, and is it harmful for my Betta/should I take out the red substrate?

(I don't use flake food so I know the flakes are not from uneaten flakes.)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have noticed a similar issue in my 20gal brackish tank. What brand of gravel are you using? Mine is TopFin. That tank has only been set up since November.. But I can say I am not surprised to be disappointed by TopFin once again.. Sigh.

I don't know if it is dangerous. I plant to change the gravel out for river rocks though.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Honestly I don't know the brand of the red gravel lol. I bought a very small package of it when I first got my Betta, then added the purple later when I got a larger tank. I'm going to take it out just because cleaning it up is annoying, but I'm thinking it shouldn't be harmful since he doesn't try to eat it.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Some gravel is coated with epoxy -- sometimes colored. It's probably not dangerous or unhealthy, but it looks bad and it can't be as good as clear fresh water.

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
The gravel from Petco does the same thing eventually it doesn't seem to harm the fish though

·
Registered
631 Posts
My old tank had blue flakes. Gravel paint I figured. That's why most of my gravel is natural. I will admit to buying some gravel to match my betta, lol.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts