Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 20g tank divided into 3 sections for 3 male juvenile betta. Sometimes they flare at each other through the mesh dividers and im worried about stress. They dont do it all the time but i'm worried if they know each other are there they might try and get into the other sections. I also want to limit the amount of time they flare during the day to reduce stress. They are new to the tank so it might not be an issue in the long run. At what point should I worry about the flaring and think about changing the dividers.

The dividers are made from plastic craft mesh with the report clips on the sides. The mesh was doubled up and offset to make it more opaque. They can see each other when they look at each other directly (in the same spot)

·
Registered
143 Posts
Ive never had a divided tank before so im speaking of what others have told me. Some people put a little section in between each bettas side so if the betta does manage to get through the first one there is still a second one to stop them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I thought about doing that. I didn’t do it for this since I didn’t tank to take away form the space in each section. I also don’t have enough material on me to make another divider for that. It’s always worth a try tho.

ive also thlight about growing java moss on the divider? I also just ordered some filter mesh to put between the two sections. It should still allow water flow while making it opaque. Will also give places for BB to live as a bonus

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
After having many, many divided tanks, I can tell you there's nothing wrong with Betta flaring at each other. It is actually good exercise.

Now, if they do it 24/7 for several days in a row, that is when you take measures.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks! I’ll keep an eye on it. I have mirrors I put on the side of the tank so I can flare them and control the amount of time, that is if they stop doing it on their own.

these little guys are feisty haha.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
I used to put fake plants on my craft mesh dividers, so I fully support the Java Moss idea. Even if the bettas don't mind seeing their neighbors, I personally think it looks nicer to see plants at a glance instead of a divider. :)

The only caution is that if you use either the Java Moss or filter floss between the sections, you may be restricting the water flow too much. So I'd only suggest using either if you have a filter in each section to make sure there's water flow, or can rig up some sort of spraybar to distribute water.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Each section has its own sponge filter :) my only worry is the temp. I have a 50w heater set to 80 and it’s stayed 80 so far in all sections. I will probably end up needing another heater or two, but not till next winter

·
Super Moderator
18,793 Posts
Each section has its own sponge filter :) my only worry is the temp. I have a 50w heater set to 80 and it’s stayed 80 so far in all sections. I will probably end up needing another heater or two, but not till next winter
What's that saying? "If it ain't broke don't fix it." ;)

But, if you do need more heaters, you can put the 50 watt in the middle and 25 watts on each end. With water flow through the dividers, though, you may find you don't need them.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah ill just keep checking the thermometer. Basically I just see the temp next week being almost 90 and my house doesn't have AC. This summer I might be fighting the other end, of trying to keep the tanks cooler.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts