Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

So...This might belong in a different category, but I wasn't sure.
Anywho, I've found that my betta(Scout) has never flared before. My Sister's crown tail(Buddy) flares, and he looks so beautiful when his beard unfolds and his fins spread, but my betta has never flared...

I held a mirror up to the flat side of his tank, hoping to see him in all his unmatched VT glory, but he just stared at it like it was an alien. :shock:
Is there something wrong with him? It was only a few days after I got him, so he couldn't have been very stressed from temp and pH and stuff.

It's a little confusing.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
he may never flare, perhaps he will be particularly docilec:, but if you just got him then let him settle in a lil and re-try c:

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Two of my bettas have never flared that I've ever seen. They're definitely the most laid-back.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Nosey has never flared for us. Every once in a while my 7-year old will hold something random up to the tank to see if she can get him to flare, but he just sorta looks at it like, "um, okay?" XD

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I've had the fish for about a month now, and I'm Kind of new to betta keeping, but, yeah. Thanks for the feedback. :)

·
Registered
823 Posts
I have two boys who are actually afraid of the mirror. They come to check it out, then see their reflection and take off in the other direction to hide in their plants :p My one betta, Gajeel, will only flared when I float him, in a cup, in my other betta's tank. Or if he happens to see my other betta since their tanks are beside each other.
I've tried the mirror on multiple occasions with him, and no luck :p

Also, when I had my two bettas in a divided 10 gallon, Mystogan would always flare at Elfman through the divider, however, when Elfman would see Mystogan flare, he would swim off in the other direction rather than flare back :lol: So now Elfman shares a 30 gallon community tank, and he does amazing with all his fishy tank mates... Just no snails, he will flare till he drops dead at snails :p

·
Registered
449 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
We were trying to get Scout to flare, (holding up pictures of pretty colourful flaring males) And he looked at them. His fins spread a bit, but his beard didn't come out. Then he just swam away like, "Whatever girl, I don't need to please you"
Sassy boy, lol

·
Registered
79 Posts
it took Berlioz a long time to flare. i dont really think he knew he could do it until Vincent started doing it to him. It was funny. Berlioz flared and i think he scared him self cause he swam away and hid under his favorite purple plant. Once he figured it out though i cant get him to stop! little goof will flare at anything that goes near him even me! :p

·
Registered
44 Posts
You may have to figure out his trigger. Waldo only flares at his snail. Diablo flares at everything including my fingers and my boyfriend's nose. We can pretty much get Diablo to flare on que now.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts