Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I did Rakki's water change today, I checked over his Zoo Med floating log. It was really slimy, so I rubbed most of the slime off. When I put it back in his tank, the water around it immediately had these weird streaks almost like you'd see in water that's collected on the street after it rains. That worried me, so I decided to take the log out.

Here's the problem... Rakki loved that thing. It was his favorite place to hang out. I have given him a new flower pot as a hide, and he swam into it a couple of times to check it out, but I don't know if he'll like it as much as he liked the log.

Does anyone know of any decorations that float that a betta could rest on or hide in? Rakki has a leaf hammock, but he ignores it. Some of his silk plants reach all the way to the top of the tank, and he does rest on them now and then, but I'd love to find something like the log that either floats or can be mounted with suction cups near the top of the tank. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Registered
3,338 Posts
The wiry stuff was just leftover slime, use hot water and scrub the sucker down

·
Registered
696 Posts
If PVC piping floats, I'd be willing to give it a try. He seems a little lost without his log. Do you know of any aquarium-safe ways I could make the piping look more attractive?
I've seen pictures with it in the tank and it floated. You might have to drill a little hole in it and attach it so it doesn't float around.

As far as making it more attractive, not unless you want to pay an outrageous price for the epoxy that is for aquariums.
PVC is white, so it wouldn't look bad. Just make sure you get a piece without the writing on it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Ya per that other thread I ended up taking my Betta log out. It just kept getting this whitish/clear mung all over it. Tried scrubbing it a few times but still after a day the mung was back. So I think something was leaching out of it. PVC does not float so will have to tie it up some how. Brutus does miss his Betta log, but better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
696 Posts
Shouldn't be hard to tie it up.
Yeah I remember reading where another with that log in their tank killed their fish.
Was thinking maybe some foam to hold it up better. Like cutting some rings out to put on each end. Maybe noodles could be cut and fitted.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm going to have to think on how I could tie up the pipe. Is there any sort of thread or string that's recommended? Or should I get some fishing line? Would it be possible to glue suction cups to the pipe to mount it on the wall of the tank? What kinds of glues are aquarium-safe?

Sorry for all the questions. DIY aquarium decorations is a brand-new world for me, and I've never been super crafty. I'm having fun trying to learn more about aquarium-safe crafting, though, since I'm trusting manufactured decorations less and less.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts