Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Seem to be having issues with the water quality in my 2gal tank.

I have an Aquatop IF-201 sponge filter and seems to be working fine
I see it sucking up stuff and it seems to be running great, so I don't think it's that?

Since I have installed it, there is a huge amount of what looks like clearish algae sticking to the side of the tank, fake plants, gravel, everything except the surface of the water. When I rinse the sponge in the filter, there is a small amount of greenish algae in it and its a huge hassle to clean it off. I did a full 100% tank clean up and the 'gunk' returns after a few days.

Does this mean I need to do water changes more frequently, (I am just adding small amounts of water each day because of evaporation and I am changing the water every weekend) or get a different filter again, or just a poor fish parent? I almost want to ditch filters all together, just sick of maintaining each one I get.

I was thinking of growing a Pathos plant in the tank just to see if I can, but now I don't want anything in the tank...

Fish seems fine, like his water isn't gross. He did try to eat some and spit it out. Water tests are also seeming to prove that the quality is good...

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
Is it slimy looking? if its what I think it is then it is harmless bacteria feeding off the excess nutrients. Very common in new tanks and newly placed objects. They will die off once they have eaten it all, usuallly in a week or so

1 - 2 of 2 Posts