Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.

Please help me. I have a beautiful double tail Betta I bought from PetSmart about 2 years ago.

I keep him in a 5 gallon tank that uses a charcoal filter system. I keep the tank between 78-81 consistently. I do 75% water changes every 1-2 weeks. I feed him pellets and freeze dried brine.

Last Friday, I noticed he had a bulge on his side and he was much more inactive than usual. I researched on this forum. I did water changes, I did an Epsom salt bath. I stopped feeding him and then only fed him a bit of boiled pea on Wednesday.

I thought I overfed him and he would get better. He's not.

Wednesday I went to the pet store and got him these Marineland ALL IN ONE remedy pills. I took out the filter and put one in his tank each day. I changed about 25% of the water Wednesday. I tested the water: No ammonia, no nitrates, but hard water.

I have given him the rest of the pea. He ate some and left the rest. He is floating on his side on the top of the tank yesterday and today. He barely swims now.

All through this I feel horrible and helpless, and he was still swimming over to me and my finger on the glass until today.

I had hope he would make it until today. He is not outwardly struggling, but pretty lifeless.

Anything else I can try? Please, anything you can think of. Thank you.

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Okay. Don't give him any more peas, they can actually hurt him since he can't digest plant matter. If you feel the need to give him a laxative, try daphnia instead.

The usual treatment for this type of distress is to fast him for 2-3 days, and keep his water clean. Don't give him any food at all. You may wish to put him in a bare-bottom tank so that you can easily see when he poops.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks. I will fix his tank tonight, and no more food for Killer. I really appreciate the advice!

·
Registered
3,979 Posts
Keep us posted. If he does't improve in a couple of days, you may need to treat him with Epsom salt, which can be cheaply bought at any pharmacy. I don't know how to do that, though, so you'll need to check the threads for "bloat" for instructions on Epsom Salt (not Aquarium Salt). Remember that even if the thread does not specifically say so, you must always dissolve salt before adding it to the tank, or you can badly hurt your fish.

Give it a couple of days first, though, to see if his condition improved. My boy took 2 days and did not need a salt treatment when he got bloat and swim bladder distress, which is what it sounds like yours has.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What should I raise the temp to and how do I do an Epsom Salt. Killer is hanging on by a thread. Not swimming unless he has to and not interested in food at all. I have not seen any poop. I think he is just overall sick. It's hard for me not to want to diagnose him with everything: popeye, icK. Maybe I will try to get a pic.

Will antibiotics help?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went to an aquarium store. The guy said to try Betta Revive, which is Neomycin and Malachite Green. I'm on day 2 of treatment and he looks no better. I lowered the water in his tank, turned off the filter (so he wouldn't have to swim against current) and do 25% water changes daily. I took out everything except a leaf to rest on and his log. yesterday he actually ate one pellet I had already soaked in his water before dropping it in. He has been fasting for most of the days of the last 2 weeks. I did not try to feed him today.

He doesn't seem like he is suffering.

Yet, he is laying around, will swim over to me, can't maintain upright in the water unless he is swimming. I have tried to de stress him. Minimal lights. Minimal noise. Occasionally coming over to the tank and trying not to cry into the tank : (

What more can I try? Am I torturing him? I will do this for months if he is not suffering. Anyone? Thanks.

I have pics of his bulge and of him floating/resting. I just don't know how to upload them.

·
Super Moderator
2,739 Posts
Please answer the questions below as best you can. And if you can get the picture posted it would help.

Stop the betta revive, if it is SBD, that's like bombing the entire city block to kill a housefly, the carbon in your filter probably pull all of the malachite out of the water anyway.

If it is SBD, you need to treat his water, the baths won't do anything. If you have a small QT tank, dose that water with epsom salt, start at 1tsp/gallon and put him in. If you don't, just treat him in his tank, do a big water change to get all the betta revive out and then treat at 1 tsp / gallon. Let him sit in that, it should help with the SBD and if it is fluid buildup from something else, it should help draw some of that out.

Are you using a bio filter (like filter sponge or other media) other than charcoal filtration?

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Super Moderator
2,739 Posts
To post a pic .

Click 'Go Advanced'
Click the paperclip icon next to the white smiley face.
Click 'Choose File"
Select your file and hit upload.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Pics of my beta

betta-sunday.jpg the top pic is of him laying on his near his leaf near the surface. Not all beta revive is out of the tank yet.

tank-half-empty.jpg The next pic shows my the tank, lower water to decrease current for him. 25% water change each day.

betta laying.JPG Laying on his leaf before the Betta Revive.

betta bulge.JPG using his tunnel to stay in one place, shows his bulge.

I'm going to have to go back and reread my posts to get a timeline again. Right this moment, his tank has about 5 inches of water in it. with Betta Revive.

This am I am going to go back slowly to full 5 gal tank, but add sponge filters and WAY decrease the current. I will make sure he has places to go/hide/float to stay near the top or wherever he chooses.

I have a heater. The tank is 78-80 year round.

i bought some Daphnia in case he wants to eat. He still is able to swim when I accidentally nudge the tank or talk to him. I tried to feed him yesterday. he didn't.

Thoughts?

I already tried the pea. I tried soaking his one pellet I gave him so it wouldn't expand in him. I tried about 1/8 of a regular bloodworm --this is the most he's been feed or attempted to have been feed over 2 weeks.

Anyone? Thank you.

I will recheck ammonia, etc. Last time I did there was no ammonia, no nitrates, but I'm sure that is up since I haven't used the filter in 3 days (beta revive and decreasing water level).

·
Super Moderator
2,739 Posts
Is that white on his bluge in the last picture just a reflection or is it white like that on his scales?

Is his bulge only on one side or is it even on both sides?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Betta bulge

The bulge is on one side. That picture was exaggerated, but he does look white at the site of the bulge. However, it looks like a loss of color or just like it is bulging out so much it's pale.

I'm working on the ph etc. changing the water and it still has the malachite green in it from the leftover betta revive.

His face looks "paler" today. I am losing optimism.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Are the scales sticking out like a pine cone?
If he has SBD, betta revive wont help, what will help is 1 teaspoon of epsom salt per gallon of water. Leave him in it and dont do a "bath" or a "dip".
Although usually with SBD, they have a big stomach. He looks kinda skinny

·
Super Moderator
2,739 Posts
I'll agree, it doesn't look like he's bloated and has SBD.
I'm not very experience with this but it looks like it might either be a tumor or more possibly fluid buildup from a bacterial infection.
We can't treat a tumor, but if you want, we can take a shot at treating a bacterial infection. Do you have Kanaplex?

BTW, is he in the epsom salt yet?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sorry it took so long to post my answer. I thought I had posted this in my original post.

Housing 5 gallon tank
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food used to be pellets and freeze dried bloodworm. Tried a pea. Worked once, the second time (days later) nothing. Bought Daphnia and tried several times after several days fasting. He won't eat.
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish? I used to feed him once a day, about 5 pellets.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? used to be once a week. Now 50% every day.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
tetra aquasafe plus

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? yes

Ammonia:
Nitrite:10
Nitrate:0.5
pH:7.5
Hardness:250
Alkalinity: 240

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? he has a lump on his side.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Lethargic. Swims when I come by for a bit then stops and floats sideways. Won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? 2 weeks ago? 3? I have to look at my first post. But it's a daily battle.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Epsom salt baths for a few days. Fasting him. Feeding him part of a pea. Fasting him again voluntarily, then involuntarily bc he won't eat. Marineland all in one treatment tablet for 5 days. Then Betta Revive. Then complete water change and trying to slow down the current from the filter.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? no
How old is your fish (approximately)? Bought him from Petco about 1.5 to 2 years ago.

He either hides in his little house at the bottom or floats at the top sideways, always under something so he can just lay there and bring his head up once in while. His spine seems curved.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Today I came home from work - same thing. Folded and floating on the top in between a fixed log and the side of the aquarium.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When is it time to euthanize?

I'm not sure if this will link to the same thread or not. If not, my fish has been sick about 3 weeks.
He's still not eating. Stays at the top on his side, "tumor" side on top. He's losing color. I am still waiting on the Kanaplex to arrive in the mail. I've called a half a dozen aquarium stores and no one sells it.

I'm starting to feel REALLY guilty. How do I know he's not in pain? Is it time to euthanize him? Somebody please help me.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts