Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
Me again. Had the slime freak out a few days ago to find out its actually completely normal. BUT NOW i swear guys somethins up with this tank. theres a really ridiculous amount of particles that float out of the gravel when i stick my siphon in it to vacuum out some poop. also, i couldn't find any poop, just a lot of white particles. Looked like the junk in my filter. I know a fair amount of fish stuff gets collected in the gravel but its just weird dont you think that theres so much more all of a sudden? Luckily my filter just cleaned it up once i turned it back on (turned it off momentarily to do a 50% water change cos the water was filthy). ANYWAYS fun part, couldnt find poop but went back to check on my betta right before i fell asleep and turns out he pooped a lil clump of normal colored poo but it was floating!!!!!!!!! also my betta doesnt seem to poop in clumps he likes to poop in coils is this normal? I just figured it was cos thats how he's been pooping since I got him. Sorry I got so many questions Im so lost yall. Also he started darting around the tank. And usually he's the type of fish to come out and say hello when ever i come home and we hang out when i sit next to him for a few hours and tell him about my day like i really love the guy but he was just acting funny and his poop is like floating idk its weird man. anyways, would love some insight! thanks!!!!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5.5 g
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? tom internal mini filter
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? nah well, i have a spray bar on my filter which keeps the surface aerated but thats it
Is your tank heated? yup!
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? just himself in that big ol 5.5 gallon!

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Hikari Bio Gold pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 in the morning, 2 at night.

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? 20% every 4-5 days, 50%/rinsing filter in separate aquarium water ever one and a half to two weeks.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? aqueon water conditioner and right now a tiny bit of aquarium salt to prevent his fin from infection (he had a lil bit of separation anxiety even tho i got him a fish sitter when i went out of town)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Well his tails growing back nicely
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? he started darting around. but he seemed okay this morning? also his poop was floating. I would like to nip problem in the butt sooner than later tho if there is one.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? last night
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no treatment, just a small amount of aquarium salt to help prevent infection as his tail grows back.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? nope hes healthy and happy usually!
How old is your fish (approximately)? I've only had him since about april 2014 and it's now the end of june 2014

·
Registered
3,597 Posts
The poop I don't as a problem, white floating particles are normal. In regards to the water changes, unless you enjoy so many per week you can do one 50% +/- water change per week. Your tank has been set up with a filter running for 2 months or more & unless you have changed your filter cartridge or cleaned it with fresh tap water your tank should be cycled. When you say a "tiny bit of aquarium salt" define a tiny bit & how long you've been treating him with it. Some darting is normal, so how often is he doing it? Is he doing it when he hasn't been startled by something? Does he seem to fub against anything like he's itchy?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.