320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Housing
What size is your tank? 29 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 82 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? She lives with 8 other beta girls

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? NFS Small pellets, Frozen foods such as: Bloodworms, Brine shrimp, Glassworms, and Daphnia. One of those at least once a week.
How often do you feed your betta fish? I feed the sorority at least 1-2 times a day. Fasting on fridays.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Tannins, Prime, occationally Stress Guard

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A little bloated belly
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? She is floaty. She moves back up when she stops swimming. Still very energetic and flares when she is flared at. Stays at the top when relaxed.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? A few minutes ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I put her in a specimen container in the tank, and added a little bit of premixed epsom salt.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? No, she was a healthy baby when I purchased her. Fresh store shipment.
How old is your fish (approximately)? Probably up to three months.

·
Registered
497 Posts
Sounds like swim bladder disease to me. If you fast her or reduce her food intake for a while, she'll probably be fine :)

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
@ EvilVOG She's not pineconed or grey thank god. She won't hold still for me to get any clear picture on my phone.

@ madameDesu It might be that she over ate, because it happened after feeding time. The girls rush over to me, it hard to tell who eats more then another. She still poops at least.

Thank you both for your help. I'll watch her belly for dropsy. I sure hope it isn't o-o

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I had a minnow who did that, the whole floaty thing until he died apparently of fish tuberculosis...another minnow soon followed, Im watching my third and past very closely for any symptoms to learn from. hopefully your fish doesnt have his....

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
It doesn't sound like dropsy or SBD at all... both of those you would see a great deal more symptoms.

What it sounds like is she either had over eaten the last meal, or she is eggy- either requires no treatment. I would keep an eye on her and if she starts to bob more then you can do the Epsom treatment.. otherwise I wouldn't worry about it too much since you said you had just noticed it now.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
@ aokashi - I've had a couple of old goldfish come down with fish TB. Saddest thing to ever see happen. Poor minnows. Are they those mountain cloud minnows?

@Myates - I am definitely going to adjust my feeding. Smaller portions and feed twice instead of once a day. Maybe break it down to three tiny snacks. Do females drop their eggs after becoming eggy? I've never seen an eggy female before. I've had the sorority for only three weeks.

I am happy to say that she is completely recovered from floating. Her belly is normal sized now as well. I want to thank everybody for taking their time to respond to my post. This is my first sorority, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks again everybody :)

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Multiple small meals a day is much healthier and better for any animal, fish included.. one day feeding can easily result in over or under feeding. Two or three meals a day is great- just make sure not to over do it per meal. Stay in the safe range, just less per meal.

Glad she is doing good!

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
@aurasouful
They're a couple of feeder minnows, I'm really not surprised they has fish Tb :( The first one had symptoms on the first day, I put him in a qt tank thinking that he was just not accliming well. He seemed to perk up, then two days later he was swimming all loopy in my qt then after I returned fr school he was dwad. The next one was a fat head minnow, and he began to look aneorexic after a few days, I thought they just under fed him at petco. I fed them more, but whilst his rosy red friend seems to be getting fatter the little guy just kept shrinking. Then came the dreaded day where he got a sudden kink in his back. I read up on ot hoping it was parasites rather than fish tb, butall his symptons said other wise. I netted the guy out and pit him in qt and medicated him with betta revive ( seein how it has a bit of everything in it, something might just work. He ate fine for another two days but was all floaty like the first and died on the third day(rather peacefully... he was swimming oneoment at the surface and then he just stopped moving), Now although the third looks ok, Im going to observe it closely, kind of getting attached to it as its all friendly and comes to the fromt of the tank when Im around. oh well...I did notice on my last visit to petco that their always over stuffed minnow tank was almost empty, as if an epidemic has swept through...whilst the other feeder gold fish tanks were still quite packed, wont be buying from them again.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Myrates!

aokashi - It does sound like an epidemic. They stuff the minnow tank at my petsmart so much, it's amazing they all don't jump out. I guess since they figured they are feeders, it doesn't matter. I wonder if the diseases they get, can be transmitted into the pets that will be eating them. Good luck with the last little bugger. Does he live with anybody else?

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
I was wondering the same thing too, would people actually buy unhealthy fish to feed to their fish? The minnow is in a 1 gallon jar, which i am essentially "experimenting on" and trying to make self sustaining, I just took the water to petco for a free water test and the parameters are all good, that I'm happy about. the plants are doing their job despite housing the minnow a ramshorn snail and two trumpet snails. I occasionaly spot some of the micro fauna which is telling me that the system is establishing. I havent changed the water in 3 weeks :D I originally wanted to set up this system for my betta, but since the sick fishies has been in there I think i will continue the system with snails and shrimps in the future...current fish is very active, but has starting swimming in loops on the side nearest the lamp today... I hope he's just excited and pretending hes a moth....

heres a recent picture of lonely old him, would get him a friend, but afraid of new infections.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Aw he is so cute :3 he lives in a lovely little jungle. That sounds like a fun project! I have a planted 10 gallon tank. You don't have to do as many water changes when it hits 6 months old :D Good lucky little yellow guy! :3 Thanks for sharing! Made my day :d

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
Im glad it did :D and happy that your girl is alright. :) Im totally new to this whole fish thing, I originally got fish to fertilize my plants! now Im stuck with two bettas and a lonely minnow.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks aokashi, I'm glad she recovered too. Was a relief! I've had aquariums most of my life. But I started off with one betta 8 months ago.. Now I have 12 0-0 I got bit by the betta bug :3 Keep me posted on your Bio-jar ^__^

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
yup yup =D I definitely will =D I got into this whole plant fish thing back in high school, where I had a really pretty red tiger lotus planted in a giant glass bowl. Complete with pond mud, I had two baby mosquito fish in it, and that was my first self sustaining eco system (until the glass cracked and that was the end of that).

How do you house your bettas? I've managed to get a cheap preused aqueon 1 gal with a filter for my betta no.1. And man I really had to baffle, baffle, baffle. Almost had to plug the entire input and extend a tubing to the floor of the tank before the little guy was happy.

The other one is in this huge glass vase filled about 1/3 of the way up ~0.8 gallons. I'm scared that the thin glass wont be able to hold if I added any more water. Meanwhile im looking around for a new tank. All my tanks have plants in them, potted and free floating on top of the water changes. so plenty of places to hide and natural =D

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I have four different tanks. A 2.5 gallon with one male. A 5 gallon kritter keeper with a large male. A naturally planted ten gallon with a betta and neon tetras, and a 29 gallon with 9 females. Since only the 29 gallon is filtered, i used live plants in the other tanks. Yeah, baffling can be sort of hard to do. What i do it cut a plastic bottle in half and put a sponge in the outflow. I fill the tank until the sponge wrapped bottle outflow makes contact with the water. I cover the in-take tube with a wide grained sponge to prevent betta entrapment. It's a lot of work during water changes XD

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
D: it seems like he/ she wont make it. today I came home to the minnow swimming all awkward around the tank. I fed it, and it ate...everything. other than sluggish awkward imbalanced movements there are no ither symptoms. Here I am, still hoping it's something other than fish Tb.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Aw, I'm sorry.. Poor little yellow guy. You tried.... At least he got to be in a nice planted home. He was a lucky guy. I think something went wrong with their minnow supply. :( I hope it not fish TB... Not fun to watch what it does to them. I had a huge goldie come down with that.. Was the first fish I willingly euthanized. Get better yellow.. If not RIP

·
Registered
6,458 Posts
yeah, my land lord also came in yesterday and saw the fish :( man was he mad. said that I'll have to move out or no pets.It's not been a good week :( and spring break is coming too. Sucks being a college student. Good thing he didnt see "yellow". I dont even know how Im going to rehome two Vts :( Or Id have to bring them to pet shops.....which will reallly suck. Im going to try craigslist and offer them up with thier tanks plants gravel food and water conditioner , wouldnt want to send them off without a decent home. :(

·
Registered
320 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Oh no, that's so sad. You can't even have fish? They aren't dogs. I'm sorry.. That's messed up. I wish I could take them, but I'm already pushing my limit. Yes, try craig's list.. Pet shop should only be a last resort. What area do you live in? Maybe somebody on the forums that may happen to be near you may help you? I hope :(

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.