Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey guys :) will be getting a betta in a week or two, and am preparing my tank. Good to be among fellow enthusiasts :)

Here's the situation:

I just set up my 5.5 gallon betta tank with a l.e.d. lit hood on it on an endtable in the corner of my room. I have a 25 watt adjustable heater coming in the mail. Now, our room does not have a ceiling or fan light, and before my interest in fish, we kept it lit by one lamp on my desk in the corner, and another lamp on a tv tray table in the corner diagonal from it. without these lamps, the room gets rather dark in the evening.

When I got my tank, my brother, who I share the room with, allowed me to replace the Tv tray in the corner with an endtable big and strong enough to put my tank on. However, he also insists on being able to keep the lamp there, and my parents have sided with him. It has a fluorescent 25 watt bulb and is quite bright. He also has made clear (and is supported by my parents) that he will turn it and keep it on whenever he wants, as long as he wants, regardless of heat and/or interruptions in bettas day night cycle. After all, he says (rather uncaringly) I'm not going to change my own habits just for a fish.

Obviously I might be a little overworried but need some help.

Will this lamp cause heating problems and/or fluctuations to an already heated tank?

I'm going to turn on my bettas tank light when I wake up, around 7, and turn it off around 7 or 8 in the evening. If my brother were to suddenly turn on the lamp beside the tank at like 9 or 10 at night, would that interrupt the fishes day night cycle and stress and/or scare it?

what do I do? any help would be wonderful.

·
Registered
951 Posts
You shouldn't have any problems with the lamp heating the tank. I'm assuming you bought an adjustable heater and will have a thermometer in there too: the thermostat in the heater will cause it to switch itself off once it reaches the temperature you set it to, so even if the lamp did cause the water to heat up a little, the heater would switch itself off and it wouldn't matter that much. Just don't have the bulb too close to the water :)

As for disrupting the day/night cycle, honestly, don't worry about it. As long as your fish gets a few hours of sleep at night, he'll be fine. Unless you go to your bed after switching off the lamp and turn off all the other lights in the room and shut your blinds, your fish probably won't fall asleep; after all, they don't have eyelids so even a little bit of light will prevent them from falling asleep. It must be totally dark. When I turn off the tank lights in the evening and leave the house, I usually don't come back until it's dark and my fish are asleep: I normally wake them up when I get home and turn my room lights on. They don't get startled but more confused than anything. They're all like "muuum why did you wake us up at this time of the night? Let us sleep!" The grumpier wrigglers will stuff their face into the plants and continue sleeping but some others come to say hello before going back to bed :)

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
It's nice if they can get 8-hours. But it's not critical.

My tanks are in parts of the house that are lighted until late evening or early morning, so I cover my tanks with towels or cardboard.

By the way, mine sleep during the day under full tank lights as well as at night. How deep a sleep? They ain't sayin'.

Welcome to the forum.

May I ask why you're waiting to get your Betta?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, just finished decorating/rinsing out the tank, now I'm just waiting for my filter, heater, gravel vaccuum, and a few other components and chemicals to arrive from Amazon. Upon arrival, I'm going to establish a nitrogen cycle before going out and choosing a fish.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Very good instructions, makes cycling sound so much simpler than everything I have read on the subject so far. As a beginner (and a perfectionist who wants to be positive everything is done double right) I think I'm still going to go with a fishless cycle. However, to perhaps speed up/simplify the process, I've ordered seachem stability from amazon.

Do you think seachem prime is a good product to use, even in an already cycled tank? It sounds very helpful for keeping fish safe in case a few days go by when I'm not here to do water changes.

Unrelated, how do I get a profile picture. In my visitor messages page i'm just represented by a red box with a white question mark, can't seem to find a button for uploading a picture

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Prime is the most often used conditioner around here. It's main purpose in a cycled tank is to detoxify ammonia that arises from water changes when there is chloramine in the sourcewater. Most towns these days use chloramine as a disinfectant/antibiotic in the municipal water supply.

For pictures, click on UserCP, the first clickable item on this page. In the left-hand column are buttons for dealing with Your Profile and pictures.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ok. I already have some API stresscoat, so I guess I'll just use that and seachem stability.

So I'm looking around on the web, and for a cycled 5 gallon, the general consensus seems to be 50% water change weekly. I was wondering: does this mean change 50% of the water once in one week, or 25% of the water twice in one week, or does it matter?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for all the help btw, it seems that no matter how much I know and understand, it just leads to more questions, and each answer uncovers another layer of questions to be answered, and so on.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
A 50% weekly water change is a conservative suggestion. In a 5g low-bioload Betta tank, 25% weekly is usually sufficient.

Knowledge leads to more questions, advancing more knowledge which leads to more questions. It's called learning.... may it never cease.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So my filter and heater finally arrived in the mail. There are however, a few problems. The heater, a hydor 25 watt, wont stick to the tank. The suction cups that came with it only stick for a few hours at a time at most, then fall off. I bought some replacements, but the clips were too big to fit the heater, which is fairly thin in diameter.

Also, the filter, a marina slim s10, is much too loud, making a loud humming noise and vibrating when I put in on the back. I've looked at it and determined that the motor is making the noise. I've looked at getting a quieter filter, but I'd like to see if anyone has any ideas before I spend more money.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts