Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
It really is going to depend on the depth of the tank. Micro swords would be what I would try. Nothing really lost other than a couple bucks!

·
Registered
171 Posts
that is a 13W CFB light fixture. it could do ok. for a 7.9 G tank for good growth you would want a 24W CFB or more OR a 9W LED lamp (I think LEDs are the way to go)

all in all there is enough wattage to keep them alive but they will grow slow

·
Registered
171 Posts
OOOPS I am wrong. It should work really well. i was using the wattage chart of Incandescent bulbs. that light will do well. You may actually want to think about getting a CO2 set up considering how much light youll be getting

·
Registered
339 Posts
Be careful. Wattage is actually pretty much useless term when it comes to lighting. Wavelength is much more important when it comes to plants. The guy in the video had 2 of those lights to grow plants with a CO2 system.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Wattage still.matters. You need certain amount of converted energy to come from the life. Leds give a good range of wavelengths and CFL bulbs dont have a terrible wavelength. The setup that guy was running was far more than adequate. You should be able to grow a cover plant just fine.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Yes the amount of consumed energy. That is correct. And that effects the output. Its why people have Watts per gallon rules. Lumens do.matter but this is a nano tank so there is very little lost to distance and amount of water penetrated.

That link to.me just took me to a forum. I'm not trying to argue and I'm not trying to say you're wrong because you aren't but there is no need to get technical when it can be simple. This isn't some 120G tank with 20 different plant species. Its 8 gallons and the OP wants a cover plant

Yes this light will work

·
Registered
339 Posts
LOL Science is obviously not your strong point. I never said it would not work, other than wattage was NOT the way to look at it anymore. 20 years in electronics and 30 in this hobby and I can tell you that I am not wrong. Just making a clarifying statement. Have fun. I'm out

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you for all the help everyone :$ sorry that I caused some trouble. No reason to fight!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts