Betta Fish Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
341 - 360 of 751 Posts

·
Registered
560 Posts
I've been trying to get mine baffled just right, lately. I got a Crowntail recently, and he still looks good, but the webbing between his fins has kind of 'billowed out', which I figured was because of the filter flow. I think I've got it down, I've been jamming different sized bits of sponge in the outflow nozzle, I don't want it too weak or too strong. I think I finally got it just right. Wish there had been an easier way, though, haha.
There IS an easier way, just buy an adjustable valve (I can dig up a link if needed, can't recall if it's posted in this thread or not), but a tiny bit of sponge is free and super reliable. :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
There IS an easier way, just buy an adjustable valve (I can dig up a link if needed, can't recall if it's posted in this thread or not), but a tiny bit of sponge is free and super reliable. :)
Huh, I didn't know about a valve, I'll have to look that up as well.

·
Registered
63 Posts
So I'm finally rebooting my fluval spec v after losing my betta in December. The plants are looking a little sad and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for low light plants with presence that don't require CO2

·
Registered
696 Posts
So I'm finally rebooting my fluval spec v after losing my betta in December. The plants are looking a little sad and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for low light plants with presence that don't require CO2
I've got some Wendelov Java Fern in mine right now. Can't remember what the broad leaf one is though.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I looked into that valve a while back.

Tried the sponge when I got the tank, it got gunked up real fast, so took it out.

·
Registered
239 Posts
Java Fern, Amazon swords, Water Wisteria, Crypts, Valensiria (Sorry for the spelling) are all low light plants, fast growing.

They will help keep you water quality good, too!

·
Registered
560 Posts
Java Fern, Amazon swords, Water Wisteria, Crypts, Valensiria (Sorry for the spelling) are all low light plants, fast growing.

They will help keep you water quality good, too!
Add Anubias to that list. Not fast growing, but very pretty and does great in low light. Java moss also.

Note that with both Anubias and Java Fern, their roots draw nutrients from the water column, not the ground, so tie them to a rock or driftwood with some fishing line, or they'll eventually die. Don't bury the roots.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks for all the great suggestions :D hopefully I'll have a nicer looking tank soon. Apparently a CO2 kit for this size tank is pretty cheap, should I get one?

·
Registered
560 Posts
Thanks for all the great suggestions :D hopefully I'll have a nicer looking tank soon. Apparently a CO2 kit for this size tank is pretty cheap, should I get one?
I personally steer clear of co2. Safer for the fish. Too much potential for things to go wrong with co2. Plenty of low tech plant options that can look great, they just grow slower. :)

And yes, with co2, you need a light upgrade to match. co2 and lighting must balance, else you risk hurting your plants, hurting your critters, and/or serious algae explosion.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I personally don't think co2 is worth it unless you're upgrading the lighting. These lights are no where near high light.
Good call :D I was thinking of possibly upgrading to a marineland double bright 18-24" light, but that is way out of my price range at the moment.

·
Registered
696 Posts
I wouldn't get a Co2. You don't need it with the lower light plants. Mine are doing just fine. I leave the light on about 8 hours a day, and they are thriving.

·
Registered
239 Posts
kman and mart have hit the nail on the head. The CO2 will introduce another variable into your tank that you don't need. I had been considering whether CO2 would be a useful addition to my tank. After reading the posts by coralbandit and others as they integrate the CO2 into their tanks I have decided that I don't need that complication. Apparently if the CO2 gas is not at the right concentration all sorts of bad things are possible. I have enough problem keeping track of the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels in my tanks.

·
Registered
696 Posts
If you could provide info about the adjustable valve. I am needing one for my guy.
Here is a picture, and a link, although you can find it other places like Amazon.
http://www.marinedepot.com/Two_Little_Fishies_Ball_Valve_w__Hose_Barbs_Saltwater_Aquarium_Supplies_Plumbing_Parts_Valves_Ball-Two_Little_Fishies-TL9131-FIFTVLBV-vi.html

Here's the link for Amazon. I believe the 1/2 inch is what you need.
http://www.amazon.com/Two-Little-Fishies-Valve-Tubing/dp/B001PQSL54

·
Registered
696 Posts
^^ Bingo. That's the name I recall, Two Little Fishies. I assume mart has the size correct. Thanks for digging up the link!
I hope so too, cuz I went ahead and ordered one.
One of the reviewers said he uses it on his fluvel 2.6, so I figured that was the right size.
Had to look around Amazon to find the best price though.
Gonna give it a shot.

341 - 360 of 751 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.