Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
2,925 Posts
If you are counting pellets then you are in absolutely no danger of feeding too much. Question is then whether you are feeding enough.

I use trumpet snails to monitor my feeding. Their population is food dependent - too much and they overpopulate the tank. Not enough and the colony dies off.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
The belly should look round, like it's got food in it :) not fat, but plump.

What size are the pellets you are feeding? Would make a difference if they were 0.5 mm, 1 mm, or bigger, you know?

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I don't count pellets, but I did the last time I participated in such a thread. I counted the 1 mm pellets I feed my bettas (and trumpet snails) - 25. Way more than I thought I was. I'm not suggesting you feed 25, but 2-3 (4-6 a day) 1 mm pellets is under feeding IMO.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I think two 1 mm pellets a day plus a treat is barely feeding the fish. You'd be better off feeding more pellets and forgoing the treat, IMO.

I think many people are afraid of over feeding and so they overcompensate.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I didn't say that you were doing anything. I said that if you were only going to feed two 1 mm pellets and a treat, that it would be better to skip the treat and feed more pellets.

Since you are feeding NLS you don't have to worry about bloating from "over feeding".

· Registered
2,925 Posts
It's okay :)

Yeah I still think it's under feeding, but that's my opinion.

· Registered
2,925 Posts
I see that most people here say the typical betta will eat until he pops; I guess he isn't typical.

I see that too, and I have no doubt that fish have eaten a lot and died. But I thinks it's more a function of what they ate than how much. I've experimented with over feedings and have never been able to feed a fish to death. But I feed NLS, so that wasn't a surprise.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.