Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So the archived threads on here regarding good haven't yielded current info, thus I'm asking. I'm getting a betta late next week so I am getting my stuff in order and food is the last on the list.

I've settled on first trying Omega One brand but I'm stuck on pellets or flakes. Both formulas have the same natural fillers that they claim won't cloud the water, the flakes are slightly more nutritionally balanced, and I do have a concern about large pellets and tiny mouths.

Is there a better option between the pellets and flakes or is it more go with what form the fish will eat? Also I've read freeze dried treats can be harmful, expanding in stomachs. Are such treats a bad idea? I like the idea of the freeze dried bc of both $ and freezer space restrictions.

Thank you for any advice.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Omega One Pellets will fit in any Betta's mouth. They float better than flakes which can get messy and are hard to keep track of. O1 is a complete, high-quality food. (Only New Life Spectrum Betta pellets are arguably better.) Betta don't need variety and they don't need treats.

Right, freeze-dried is not good; it can cause constipation.

Good on you for doing your research.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Omega One Pellets will fit in any Betta's mouth. They float better than flakes which can get messy and are hard to keep track of. O1 is a complete, high-quality food. (Only New Life Spectrum Betta pellets are arguably better.) Betta don't need variety and they don't need treats.

Right, freeze-dried is not good; it can cause constipation.

Good on you for doing your research.
Thank you for your response and it matches up with what I was thinking (especially in regards to treats). And I'm glad my research has been worth it, it's been 2 months of research, I like research plus I don't wanna do any harm if a little education can help it. I'm very excited to be getting a Betta very soon. Thank you again for the information.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Pellets hands down. If you really want to balance his diet further you can buy two brands of pellets to switch through and frozen food. I give my bettas New Life Spectrum, Omega One, and frozen brine shrimp/blood worms. On frozen food day my bettas are so energetic and happy haha. My big boy will search for hours looking to see if he missed any shrimp.

Needless to say my bettas are thriving off of this diet.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Pellets are better for sure. OO is good (as as NFS). I also feed my bettas frozen brine shrimp and frozen blood worms every once in a while. Frozen is better then freezedried.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I know pellets are the obviously cleaner choice, but I've been using these flakes called HBH BettaColorBright which my betta LOVES! Of course, this depends on your betta's personality and taste, but it's a great food targeted at improving your betta's color which it has done with my betta. I HIGHLY recommend you use it. Hope I could help.

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Betta Color Bright probably contains axaxanthin, a known color-enhancer. I can't find an ingredients list online. Could you post the ingredients list here?

New Life Spectrum contains Arctic krill which has axaxanthin. Plus it's a complete highly nutritious pellet. I think it would be better for your fish.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The BEST thing about NLS is their pellets come in different sizes. I have the regular betta pellets but when I first got my little import(he has no name so this is his name lol) he tried the pellets but they were so big. NLS can be a bit of a pain to locate sometimes and some stores only carry certain kinds but they're worth the price/hardships finding them. Ship 'em! Bettas eat so little anyway that a jar seems to last forever.

I know some people have trouble getting their bettas to eat pellets and switch to flakes so that's kinda up to you and your fish.

Kudos to you doing your research and gathering opinions before you dive in to betta keeping!

·
Reference Team
7,702 Posts
Betta are like kids: they like to eat tasty things even when they're not the best food for them. It's better to feed them a high-quality pellet as a staple, even if they don't take to them right off. Make them eat it. It's better for them.

Astaxanthin is the correct spelling of the color-enhancer I mentioned above.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Awesome info everyone. I've ordered the Omega One pellets, couldn't find them or NLS locally. I'm excited bc I'm pretty much waiting on the food, after that it's Betta picking time. I'm hoping for a turquoise delta but I'm not married to it, who knows what Betta will call my name.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts