Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta fish has been being fed "North Fin" or something like that (I took the food out of the package and put it in a little tupperware container) since I got him. I don't believe I have heard anything about this brand but he is super active and seems happy. I always see people recommending different pellets and I just wanted to clarify the healthiest variety of food :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
Do you mean Top Fin? Their pellets aren't any good, since they're basically full of fillers. Same with Aqueon's pellet food.

The best betta food that is recommended on here is Omega One, which can be gotten for $4 at Petsmart, I believe. I remember bring told that New Life Spectrum was also a good food, but I haven't seen a single review on it.

Some people also add bloodworms into their betta's diet, as a treat. If you also wish to, don't get freeze-dried bloodworms, since those can cause bloating and have lost most of their nutrition from being freeze-dried. Try to get live or frozen.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
No north fin is a good brand form what i know. My bettas get what all my fish get (even my reef fish). So frozen; mysis, bloodworms, beefheart, cyclops, and brine shrimp. Pellets; nls thera A pellets, marine pellets, discus pellets. Flakes; omega one tropical flakes, ocean nutrients brine flakes, ocean nutrients marine flakes. Live; black worms and brine shrimp.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
28 Posts
Oooh, I guess I should've searched up the brand name before assuming it was a different one.

I have a question though; I remember seeing on a tumblr blog someone asking a question about if they could feed their betta beefheart. The person then replied no, since beefheat was extremely high in cholesterol and bettas are designed to eat insects, so they should stick to insects. So, does cholesterol affect fish? How often do you feel it?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you mean Top Fin? Their pellets aren't any good, since they're basically full of fillers. Same with Aqueon's pellet food.

The best betta food that is recommended on here is Omega One, which can be gotten for $4 at Petsmart, I believe. I remember bring told that New Life Spectrum was also a good food, but I haven't seen a single review on it.

Some people also add bloodworms into their betta's diet, as a treat. If you also wish to, don't get freeze-dried bloodworms, since those can cause bloating and have lost most of their nutrition from being freeze-dried. Try to get live or frozen.
It is called North fin, I looked it up after I posted ahah and yes, i've heard of Omega One but it is like $9 at my local pet store (Big Als) :| The pellets also look way too big considering they are going to expand :-?

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Oooh, I guess I should've searched up the brand name before assuming it was a different one.

I have a question though; I remember seeing on a tumblr blog someone asking a question about if they could feed their betta beefheart. The person then replied no, since beefheat was extremely high in cholesterol and bettas are designed to eat insects, so they should stick to insects. So, does cholesterol affect fish? How often do you feel it?
I have absolutely no idea! I have never even heard of feeding beef heart to fish :lol:

Ask user tankman12, he seems to know a lot about food!

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
I never had a problem with really any food. Some people say feeding bloodworms to much can kill fish and stuff. I personally have never had an issue. I once fed my krib pair bloodworm every day for a week. At the end of the week they spawned. When i had discus i bought beefheart for them. All my fish liked it,and i never had a problem with it. I got rid of the discus but i still get some frozen beefheart at petco. All my fish liked it and i personally never had a problem feeding my fish really anything. I dont really go on a schedule like some people do. Some weeks my fish may not get any flakes. Some they might get all frozen. Some weeks they will get live with pellets. Some weeks may only get feed like 3 times. I mix it around really with whatever, and that is how you see nice healthy fish. Cuz in the wild they eat whatever and whenever. Also never just do one big feeding do like 3 small feedings (2 pellets) a day. Or sometimes in my big community and my reefs i my feed 6 times a day, small feedings. Not usually every day. The whole thing is just mix it up and make it as random as you can.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
North Fin is usually only found in Canada but from what I heard it is comparable to Omega One. So I think you are fine. If you want to be sure, check the ingredients on the pellets. Make sure the first few are some type of whole fish or shrimp or krill, etc and that the first ingredient isn't wheat gluten or wheat something else or anything else that sounds similar to that since those are fillers. Fish Meal is okay, its not exactly a filler but it isn't as good as "whole fish"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.