Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My betta hasnt been eating his flake food very much since we got him. It's Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley. He seems to prefer his pellet food, I'm not sure what kind it is, there's two kinds, one that came as a sample in the water conditioner and another in his new tank. He'll usually come up to the flakes and push them a little bit or spit it out and leave it. When he gets the pellets I usually hold it near the surface so he can jump to get it, he seems to enjoy doing that. The flakes are new and the pellets are again, only samples and i wont be able to get more food for a while, the pellets will probably run out before that, any ideas why he isnt eating the flakes? Also, what are some better foods to feed him, I plan on getting blood worms or something soon but I want to have some ideas of what he might eat.
Update: the pellets are Aqua Culture and Aqueon brand.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Bettas are insectivores and like to eat bugs and meaty foods. Flakes can provide the nutrition but the texture is all wrong, that's why he prefers to crunch his pellets. Flakes dissolve pretty quick so he may not really feel the food he eats.
You can wet your fingers and take the world's tiniest pinch of flakes and immerse them underwater so they're not floating, then he can chase them down in the water and eat then without the risk of inhaling water and bloating.
Bloodworms, daphnia, brine shrimp, mosquito larvae, fruit flies, tiny spiders, and other bugs are preferred. You must be careful feeding live bugs as you don't know their source or what they're carrying. Some people breed tiny bugs just to feed to their fish so they know the source but I was always too afraid of them overpowering my house.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
flakes actually cause constipation and/or bloating if feed incorrectly. You want to avoid them, as well as freeze dried foods, all together.

You should feed your fish either a diet of high quality pellets - the best brands are Omega One or New Life Spectrum. You want a pellet low in fillers.

The other option is feeding a exclusively live and/or frozen food diet. I do feed my fish an entirely frozen food diet but it can be time consuming and expensive. Which is why most opt for a pellet diet.

·
Registered
81 Posts
My two males love the Omega one Betta pellets but how do you stop them from sinking?? As well-I see an oily film on top of the water-could that be from these pellets? They love frozen brine shrimp andd bloodworms too but i've read the frozen shouldn't be fed exclusively? So much conflicting advice :(

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Omega One pellets are supposed to float. If they are sinking, try to drop them from a lower level on to the surface of the water. If you are dropping them from high up they can sink.

oily film is common in all tanks. Unless you are feeding flakes then it is not being cased by the food.

yes, you can feed a fish all frozen food diet but you cannot feed them brine shrimp and bloodworms exclusively. I feed my fish an all frozen food diet. I feed my fish brine shrimp, bloodworms, mysis shrimp, daphnia, mosquito larvae, beef heart, a carnivore mix, and whatever other insects my local fish store has. I partially defrost them and mix them together and then put small batches in ziplock bags and flatten them so they are a flat sheet. Then i refreeze them. When its feeding time, I just break a section off and defrost it and then add it to the tank. I'm also cautious so i replace the food every 3-4 months. It usually costs me around $60-$80 every time I buy the food. So it is expensive. Its more expensive then most want to spend, especially when a container of pellets is $10 and lasts at least a year or more.

·
Registered
4,976 Posts
Your fish sound like they have an awesome diet, vivian!! I simply cannot afford that but I wish I could!
OP, perhaps you bought a different Omega One pellet? The regular betta labeled pellets should float but I found that if the pellets were individually punctured or crushed or any way broken up from the formed balls they would sink. I bought Omega One micro pellets for my gourami and they don't stand a chance against floating, they immediately sink. So check your bottle, some float and some sink. If your betta doesn't mind chasing one or two pellets at a time then feed a little slower and watch him work!

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I use omega one pellets all the time. In addition to the frozen, I feed pellets once a week. Mine float without a problem.

in reality, I can't really afford it. I started it more as an experiment to see what would happen but my bettas really enjoy it and seem to be more excited for feeding time so I keep it up.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Thank u everyone---I feel really silly it was only a matter of gently placing them onto the top of the water-not dropping them in from a little higher up! I am learning-now that they have a taste of the pellets-they turn their nose up at the frozen bloodworms and brine shrimp---probably like a dog/cat eating only kibble--not a good diet.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Omega One pellets are high quality so actually it is a good diet for them. Since you are using a good quality pellet they are getting a complete nutrition diet.

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
I said this above. I started it as an experiment, to see how my fish would react to an all frozen foods diet. If they would like it or prefer pellets or if there were any negative effects. It turned out that they really enjoyed it and seem more active around feeding time. It also gives me more time to interact with them. So as long as i can afford it, I'm going to keep doing it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts