Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I was wondering which betta food is the best. I was looking into Omega-one pellets and it has a preservative that is also a pesticide!!! On wiki it said that it is toxic for fish.

Queen Zeno

·
Registered
785 Posts
I've seen people swear by Omega one pellets. So I wouldn't believe that it is a problem. If you don't believe that those are for you, you can always use New Life Spectrum pellets a lot of members swear by that brand too. (I use them and they work just fine)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi,

Thanks for your reply. How are the ingredients in New Life? Is it mostly fishmeal or things like wheat? I want my bettas to get the nutrients that they need so that is why I'm specific. Thanks.

Queen Zeno

·
Registered
785 Posts
Ingredients: Whole Antarctic Krill meal, Whole Herring meal, Whole Wheat Flour, Algae Meal, Beta Carotene, Spirulina, Garlic, Vegetable and fruit extract, Ginseng, Vitamin A Acetate, DL Alphatocophero (E), D-Activated Animal-Sterol (D3), Vitamin B12 Supplement, Niacin, Folic Acid, Biotin, Thaimine, Riboflavin Supplement, Pyridoxine Hyrdochloride, Calcium Pantothenate, L-Ascorby-2-Polyphosphate(Stable C), Choline Chloride, Ethlenediarnine DihyDrolodide, Cobalt Sulfate, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate.
(No Added Hormones)

Crude Protein (Min.) 37%
Crude Fat (Min.) 5%
Crude Fiber (Max.) 4%
Moisture (Max.) 10%
Ash (Max.) 8%
Vit A (Min.) 8000 IU/Kg
Vit D (Min.) 2500 IU/Kg
Vit E (Min.) 200 IU/Kg

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you very much!!! That looks great for my bettas.

Queen Zeno

·
Registered
37 Posts
I'm about to switch my betta to frozen brine shrimp and blood worms and flightless fruit flies for fiber (assuming I can find them). This is more common to their natural diet they would get in the wild.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I worry about parasites so I only feed them freeze-dried bloodworms along with their other food. I know that the FD bloodworms aren't quite as nutritious as frozen.

Queen Zeno

·
Registered
37 Posts
That's a high moisture content in new balance... Also quite a bit of un-needed additives... Look online for some less commercial type foods that r far superior and better priced! Also look locally for live food sources lfs/breeders they will appreciate the income and u will get better quality foods for your pets.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I will check out kens website ty ghost

·
Registered
296 Posts
That's a high moisture content in new balance... Also quite a bit of un-needed additives... Look online for some less commercial type foods that r far superior and better priced! Also look locally for live food sources lfs/breeders they will appreciate the income and u will get better quality foods for your pets.
Could you provide some examples of such foods? Because I've looked at every food I've come across online and have found NLS to be superior to them -- far superior in many cases. I haven't found NLS to be that bad at all as far as price either: I bought a jar of their Betta pellets back in November or so and it looks like I've hardly used any (and I'm currently at five Bettas) -- it's to the point that I joke the stuff multiples in the jar.

I'm mostly curious because I'd love to offer variety when it comes to pellets as well, but I haven't found anything else yet that I feel is comparable to NLS.

What can I say? I'm very particular.

Also curious as to what ingredients you are referring to as unneeded?

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well noah I could provide u with a list... But I think u have made ur decision on nls but wardley sells exact same for less but I don't use them, I use my local farm supply store for some of my feed, also buy from few distributors from here in michigan... But unnessary ingredients, any thing that says meal or 4 plus syllables in the name of an ingredient. Most ingredient lists should read whole salman whole shrimp not shrimp/salmon meal also the wheat in fish food is useless also any b12 that is a chemical additive, carotene u got that in any foods u lookin at? Look up organic additives in fish food vs. Chemical additives it will help u decide for ur next jar. Expense isn't an issue! But spending money on filler and unhealthy non-viable additives are. I don't just raise betta. But I do know a lil bout organic routes to take with my breeding endeavors.also check with nls to find out their shelf life then ask why so long! Lol preservatives r unneeded also! I will get a thread up when I got time to list some grass roots distributors that u could check out.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you everyone for your replies. I have gotten some of the New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets, though I haven't given it to them, yet.

·
Registered
296 Posts
I’ve made my decision in the sense that I know it’s the best I’ve managed to find to date, but as I said, I would still be more than happy to feed them a bit of variety when it comes to their pellets (I feed my dog on a rotation of foods, so believe me, I don’t mind buying different foods).

Which Wardley food are you referring to? Thus far I haven’t been impressed with them, to say the least, but perhaps you’re referring to one I haven’t seen.

Meal in foods is just the ingredient in its dry weight: they use whole food meals (Whole Antarctic Krill Meal, Whole Herring Meal, Whole Squid Meal), so it’s the same as the whole salmon and whole shrimp, minus the water weight (which is removed during processing anyways). That means where they’re at in the ingredient list is the actual position in relation to other ingredients by weight – whole foods with the water included end up lower on the list once processed.

Most of the four-plus syllable words, in the case of NLS, are scientific names, so to speak. This is done with a lot of vitamins and minerals and doesn’t necessarily mean they’re chemicals/synthetic or anything detrimental at all, and certainly not unneeded. NLS also uses a number of fruits and vegetables for the necessary vitamins and minerals, and given that the ones added specifically are so low on the ingredient list there actually isn’t that much added.

I’ll agree that wheat (and soybeans) in fish food aren’t ideal, but I’ve been hard pressed to find foods without them. In this case they use wheat flour and it seems to be more used as a binding agent (i.e. to get the pelleted form), though I wish they didn’t use soybean isolate as well.

I’m not sure what you mean about Beta Carotene being useless, and NLS only says “Vitamin B12 Supplement” on their site – they don’t offer anything more specific than that. But, again, as far as vitamin supplements they use mostly fruits and veggies to provide those (from their site: Spinach, Broccoli, Red Pepper, Zucchini, Tomato, Pea, Red and Green Cabbage, Apple, Apricot, Mango, Kiwi, Papaya, Peach, Pear).

I’m not finding anything that is chemical (in the layman’s idea of chemical) in NLS – certainly nothing that has me second-guessing this food. Everything I’m seeing is perfectly safe. I’m also not seeing anything that would support the argument that this is full of “filler and unhealthy non-viable additives” either; even with the point of the wheat flour and soybean isolate, again, I’ve found this food to be better in that respect than nearly any other that I’ve come across.

Trust me, I’m not new to this whole processed food search either and have done a ton of research into this field. If I could find a food with a better binder than wheat flour, and without soybean isolate, I would feed it in a heartbeat. But, so far, I haven’t been able to short of homemade foods.

In regard to the preservatives in NLS: I actually don’t see any. Certainly not chemical. The closest I’m seeing is a source of Vitamin C and Vitamin E. It’s a dry, processed food and there’s no added fat source which I imagine is why they have a pretty good shelf life and have no added preservatives.

I still stand by this food and have no issues feeding it or recommending it to others. But, still, I’m more than open to a second (or even a third or fourth) pelleted food to feed to my fish and would love to take a look at other options and check out the grass roots distributors you mention (especially grass roots distributors). I would be very much grateful for a lead on another food to offer my Bettas.

·
Registered
296 Posts
The Rapashy foods look interesting -- certainly one of the better foods I've seen. I like that they don't use wheat or soy or corn ingredients, and I like the guaranteed analsysis on them as well. I'll admit I'm curious about their form/preparation, too.

The one thing I see that I don't like is the menadione sodium bisulfite complex (which is Vitamin K3, or synthetic Vitamin K). I'm iffy on that ingredient and it has some controversy surrounding it (which is what has me iffy) and I prefer to play it safe. A number of people are fine with this ingredient, however, so this is just my own personal two-cents.

Given that that is, literally, the only ingredient in the list that I'm not entirely comfortable with and is in such a small amount I would stick by my assessment that it's certainly one of the better foods out there.

·
Registered
296 Posts
No problem, that’s a fair enough question.

I can't claim a nutrition degree or anything, but I started researching foods for my dog and the cat I had at the time years ago (my dog's about 8 now, I've had her since she was 9-10-months-old, and probably started researching when she was around one...two at the most). Actually, I started off researching raw food/prey-model style diets and started analyzing processed foods from what I was learning there, I guess more or less looking for ingredients that matched up fairly well with a more natural diet is the best way to put it.

That ended up taking me to a forum that, at the time, was not too different from this one, but which was geared towards dogs for one version, and cats for the other. I read and participated in discussions there, read articles, and it has kind of gone from there. I’ve researched some ingredients, menadione/Vitamin K3 being one, and also physiology to an extent (dentition and digestive tracts can tell one a lot about an animal's diet). I try to keep "up-to-date," so to speak, since then when I come across something new.

I’ll admit that I can’t provide legitimate research and hardcore science for a vast majority of my opinion on foods – and really, even when I do try to it can be hard to find the actual research opposed to articles analyzing the research in a number of cases. My personal preference is just to look for as close to the animal’s natural/biologically appropriate diet in a processed food and to go as natural as I can, or at the very least I avoid known harmful substances and do my best to avoid ones I’m not comfortable with – or at least minimize them.

Admittedly, some of my preferences are just quirks of mine. I try to shoot straight though and admit when it’s simply my opinion or preference (i.e. I'm going off of less information, or when there's a divide on the subject -- if someone disagrees I'm not going to deny them that right).

But my research and what I've come to understand hasn't yet been too difficult for me to apply to other animals: I again basically just start with what it's natural diet would be and go from there.

Haha, kind of a long answer, but, I hope that's what you were looking for?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.