Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Alrighty so recently I've been given a large amount of small to mid-large algae eating snails. I'll be 100% honest, I don't really know what they are, and neither does my friend who gave them to me (I know, rookie mistake taking something without knowing what I was getting myself into). What I do know, is that my dwarf puffer LOVES them, and they're definitely awesome clearers! To give you an idea, I have a small 3.5 gallon betta tank, and a while back it was absolutely covered in algae. Then, I put 12 of these snails in there, and within 24 hours the tank was almost as nice as it was when I first got it. I made the mistake of overfeeding which resulted in a population boom. Obviously these are free, although Id appreciate it if you could identify what they are because they do not look like Pond snails, and I'm not sure what else they might be. If you're interested, send a PM. Pictures can be provided through email. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Bladder snails probably.
Can you attach a photo here? Click on "Go Advanced" then there is a paper clip icon on the toolbar of the text box, click that and it opens a pop up window where you can upload the photos and it attaches from there :)

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
Definitely one of the two. The first one looks Bladder to me. Here's a nifty chart to help you tell the difference:

Mostly it's about the way their shell turns is how you tell the difference.
snailIDs.jpg

EDIT: Pond snails are not common in the home aquaria, though that's not to say that you don't have these guys ^_^ But Bladder's are more common. Though, if I'm reading the turn of the shell properly, it does look like you have Pond Snails.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts