Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So some people tell me that bloodworms should be treated as BETTA Treats, and some say its good for their daily diet and feedings. I just want to know, which is best.

I have freeze dried bloodworms that provide:

Crude Proteins
Crude Fat
Crude Ash
Crude Fiber
Moisture

What's funny is that, some of my betta pellets have the same ingredients, so would feeding my betta blood worms be okay? or should I treat it like a snack?

·
Registered
5,671 Posts
Snack- the FD process takes out nutrition, as well as the quality of the ingredients tend to not be as good. Normally the FD food is just empty calories, so feeding them on a regular basis is not a good idea for overall-long term health. Once or twice a week you can substitute a meal for 2-3 bloodworms (as long as you are feeding him at least twice a day- which is recommended). So the Analysis (what you listed) can have items on it the same as any other food- as they will always list it, like they do our food.. but it's the process of making the freeze dried, and the stuff they add in with it while doing so that isn't ideal.

Highly recommended to only feed 1-2 times a week at most.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well fish foods are basically made up of the same things, but others have stuff in them to help bring out pigments in the fish (beta-carotene ).

My Betta Min Flakes have the same "guaranteed analysis" as the freeze-dried bloodworms, but in different ratios.

I personally treat my betta with the freeze-dried bloodworms and he understands that they are a snack.

You can eat chips every day and they wouldn't kill you, right? You'd basically just get pudgy :p

Compared to the betta flakes, the crude protein that makes up the bloodworms is more than what is in the food. Protein isn't a bad thing, but in order for protein to be stored, you need amino-acids, which aren't available in bloodworms, but are available in the betta flakes/pellets by adding the other ingredients.

Crude Fat is also more in flakes/pellets because fatty acids are broken down in the fish and is the main source of energy as well as helps skeletal and heart functions.

Most of the time in the ingredients you'll also see stuff like algae meal maybe even potato and plant matter types mixed in. These are the carbs for the fish and also help in tissue building.

Also, if you check the container's ingredients you'll most likely find shrimp meal. This is another source of protein, which also helps in pigmentation and tissue coloration on your fish.

Soybean meal is another source of protein.

Spirulina is a blue-green plant plankton rich in raw protein, vitamins A, B1, B2, B6, B12, C and E, beta-carotene, color enhancing pigments, a whole range of minerals, essential fatty acids and eight amino acids required for complete nutrition. Most of the time this might be found in more expensive foods.

Wheat or Whole Wheat is also in with fish foods and supplies not only energy, but vitamin E (which promotes coloration as well as growth).

Other than that, if I seemed to have missed some ingredients, you can either assume they are a vitamin, protein, or some form of carb for the fish.

Clearly, you're not getting all of that ^^ in bloodworms, which is why you should treat them as a treat and NOT the main source of food for your fish. He/she will not live as long without the essential vitamins and nutrients he would get from regular flakes or pellets. Most of the time they die or are very lethargic because they are not getting what they need.

Hope this cleared some of the confusion up and perhaps maybe even allowed others to learn what is in their fish food :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.