Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! I'm in the process of prepping a 10 gallon "luxury" aquarium for my betta Cosmo and I'm looking for some advice on tankmates. The finished tank will be planted, filtered, and heated and will have lots of decorations/hiding spots. Cosmo is a very active, curious, and friendly betta fish. He's never lived with other fish, but he doesn't bother the snails in his current tank and is terrified of his exercise mirror--he also basically ignores his toy floaty fish. I'd like for him to have some friends in his new tank since I work long hours and I don't want him to get too bored. I've looked at dwarf coreys, shrimp, snails, and neons, but I'm not sure what the best choice would be. How many friends do you think I could fit in a 10 gallon without overwhelming the bio load? Which fish might be the best fit? (I'm new to keeping not-bettas.) Who might be easiest to find? ( My nearest pet store is a Petco that's an hour away.) Should I just leave the 10 gallon to Cosmo? Also, how long should I cycle before putting anyone in?

Thanks so much for the help--I know it's a lot of questions!!!

·
Super Moderator
22,173 Posts
Welcome to the Forum!

I would leave the 10 gallon to Cosmo. In the tank you are describing with plenty of plants and places to explore he should be a happy camper.

Betta do not need "friends." Unlike shoaling fish which need at least six of their kind for a proper environment, Betta are fish that do well in a solo environment.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hi everyone! I'm in the process of prepping a 10 gallon "luxury" aquarium for my betta Cosmo and I'm looking for some advice on tankmates. The finished tank will be planted, filtered, and heated and will have lots of decorations/hiding spots. Cosmo is a very active, curious, and friendly betta fish. He's never lived with other fish, but he doesn't bother the snails in his current tank and is terrified of his exercise mirror--he also basically ignores his toy floaty fish. I'd like for him to have some friends in his new tank since I work long hours and I don't want him to get too bored. I've looked at dwarf coreys, shrimp, snails, and neons, but I'm not sure what the best choice would be. How many friends do you think I could fit in a 10 gallon without overwhelming the bio load? Which fish might be the best fit? (I'm new to keeping not-bettas.) Who might be easiest to find? ( My nearest pet store is a Petco that's an hour away.) Should I just leave the 10 gallon to Cosmo? Also, how long should I cycle before putting anyone in?

Thanks so much for the help--I know it's a lot of questions!!!
how long have you had cosmo?

·
Registered
1,403 Posts
Should I just leave the 10 gallon to Cosmo?
Yep.
You're taking down the mirror, I hope? I personally think, due to this in specific, and russell's comments above in general, you don't want to cause your betta stress :). He's fine while you're gone.

He's not getting direct sunlight from an open window? Alternatively, some live plants need a lot of light, some don't. Although there are members who suggest that light isn't a problem for a betta, I like the idea of darkening the room --especially the LED lights from computers, coffee pots etc/having a timer on hood lights so that your betta can get sleep at night.

Here's something that might help;

1 - 4 of 4 Posts