Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm currently fiddling with the idea of getting Spike a tank mate. I'm not gun ho ready to buy. But I wanna do the research.

What would be the best tank mates?
Preferably a cleaner that would shift the sand around. Not producing high bios.
I'm interested in the shrimpies. Cories are my favorites. But I think they have high bios. I am open to other types of fish.
Water temp is between 80-83F. Would my water changes have to change? I do 20-30% weekly and 50% with vaccum monthly.

TYVM everyone!

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
You can't have any fishy friends in a 5.5 gallon. :( You need a 10 Gallon for that.
You could either have a snail or some shrimpies. :D

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
It isn't about the amount of gallons, well that is part of it... Anyways it depends on how much of a footprint the tank has. I have seen the 5.5 gallon glass tanks. If it us one of the glass tanks then no to fish. Your betta is territorial, no matter what you believe, he needs his space. If you do get shrimp you need lots of hiding places for them like mosses or small caves. Either ghost shrimp or cherry shrimp.

Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters, how long has your tank been setup?

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Shrimp are very sensitive to water parameters, how long has your tank been setup?
About 2-3 months now. Feels like it has been longer.

5.5 is too small for a pack of cories since they need to be in a group. But many people with small tanks keep a snail or shrimp :) Some betta's eat shrimp though!
I am also aware that cories need to be kept in schools. Forgot to add that part.
I like snails. Cute little buggers, wouldn't mind gettin one.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
Okay I am guessing it is filtered as well. So the tank has cycled, which means it is safe to add shrimp or snails. Snails are way safer as they have shells to protect them against bettas. One problem is that they need a supply of food, and if you have soft water their shells will deteriorate. If you do have soft water calcium should be added to the water. I am not sure on the dozing though.

·
Registered
4,666 Posts
I successfully have kept everyone of my bettas in a 5 gallon with 3 male endlers/wild guppy males

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would go with some live plants and a couple of snails. As long as theres enough food for the snail then they should be very happy in a 5gal.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TYVM everyone.
I am planning on getting live plants. I probly won't be getting a snail or 2 until I get those live plants set up.

Kfryman, my tank is filtered. Sorry I didn't add that info.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I guessed it was as most people use filters one every tank, even if it is too small of a tank.

Make sure you get a good light specifyly for plants. You may have to order one online if your tank doesn't have a hood. They make lights that clip on, fluval and Tom I know for sure have one. Another good thing about plant setups is the light is bright, so your fish's color really pop. If you want help with everything, PM me, Mo, or Oldfishlady. Their are lots of other members that can help you. I just don't keep track of all the names.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guessed it was as most people use filters one every tank, even if it is too small of a tank.

Make sure you get a good light specifyly for plants. You may have to order one online if your tank doesn't have a hood. They make lights that clip on, fluval and Tom I know for sure have one. Another good thing about plant setups is the light is bright, so your fish's color really pop. If you want help with everything, PM me, Mo, or Oldfishlady. Their are lots of other members that can help you. I just don't keep track of all the names.
TYVM for your help.
I am able to purchase a fluorescent light today.
I want to get this one: http://m.petsmart.com/mt/www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=11248156&lmdn=Fish
But I cannot find how much Kelivn it puts out. I looked all overthr box and the bulb. Nottin.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
I would get the ultra sun instead. Same bulb and everything, even same watts. The ultra sun gives off 6700k, I have 2 of those bulbs and all my plants are doing good.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I would get the ultra sun instead. Same bulb and everything, even same watts. The ultra sun gives off 6700k, I have 2 of those bulbs and all my plants are doing good.
TYVM for the recommendation.

·
Registered
2,821 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, how much of a difference would about 1000K make? Cause the one I linked has a Marineland version that has about 5100k.

·
Registered
2,249 Posts
You want to aim for around 6500k if you are using one bulb. This will give plants the maximum light and will benefit them greatly.

The one linked would be good, if you had a 6500k one as well. My T5 fixture has two bulbs, so I have a red bulb, so the plants get nice reds, and a super sun so it is lit brightly and that is also food for the plants.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts