Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
SajorI, Elephant Ears
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know the requirements for posts looking for help with a health situation, but I believe if I don't act fast, our little Sajorí will perish. I'm documenting the problem and providing the conditions and actions we have taken.

Our little betta has been energetic, healthy, intelligent, and active since we adopted him last September. The worst part started yesterday, and today he is even worse. Initially, we thought of nitrate poisoning. We started checking the water parameters, and the only parameters we thought were wrong were a little greenish on the ammonia and nitrates at about 10 ppm. We started making water changes 1 gal at a time on a 5 gals tank. By 1 AM, the parameters were:
  1. ph: 7.6
  2. ph high: 7.4
  3. ammonia: about 0 to .25 ppm (to my view, a little greenish, but not green at all)
  4. nitrite: 0
  5. nitrate: 5 ppm
  6. temp: 82.3 F
Last night he seemed like he was recovering. This morning my wife and daughter told me that he was reacting better, but then by 1 PM, he started the strange behavior. He used to be aware of anything that happened near him, and when giving him food, he pointed his eyes up toward anyone who stopped to watch him or give him food. Now he has a lost stare and doesn't look at us when we try to get his attention. He used to swim back and forward, up and down all day long. Now he only swims up to gasp for some air. When younger, he didn't even go up for air, but we take that he is older, which may be his natural behavior.

Please, check the videos and pictures provided to see if one can give me a clue on what to do.

Wondering around his house:

His reaction once he knows someone is near: 20220313 212051

Waiting for his meal. It is blurry, but in the original, one can see his eyes watching me directly: 20220423 224838

September 2019. When he was younger. Active, healthy, curious:

This is him now 😢😞🤔:

Swimming up for air:

PLEASE HELP!

·
Registered
SajorI, Elephant Ears
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Today, he seems to be a little better. He still acts a little strange but seems to get a better oxygen supply. I will post a complete story and water parameters soon.

·
Registered
21 Posts
That's a really cool looking fish, can't really help with your problem though. Maybe try a bubble stone can't remember if you had one or not. Although I have them in both my betta tanks and I feel like neither like them too much. I keep them as low as possible. Maybe he has some fin rot, I was told to use Indian Almond leaves or something. They're all over Amazon website.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts