Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not too long ago, I posted on this forum asking for help for my betta, Germaine. He hadn't been eating and was very lethargic and I was beginning to get worried. So I frantically typed up a thread with all the details (which you'd likely be able to find through my profile or something), posted it, and wouldn't you know it, Germaine died while I was typing up the thread. Soul crushing.

Call it grief or call it a refusal to "lose," but I jumped in my car and bought a new betta (Marrow) not even 15 minutes after flushing Germaine. After about a week in the same domain I had Germaine in, I went out and bought all new stuff for Marrow- including a HEATER, as I suspected heat to be the culprit of Germaine's demise. New 1.5 gallon tank has a filter, too.

The new layout seemed like an instant success- Marrow swam swiftly and fluidly, enjoying his new surroundings. It wasn't long before my suspicions were confirmed as I would frequently find Marrow lying atop the submerged heating strip. Boy, does he love that heater.

But now, what I initially thought was love for the heater has made me suspicious that something might be wrong with him. I came in to find him lying UNDER the heater today, rather than on top. First, I thought this was because evaporation had lowered the surface level of the water to where he couldn't remain underwater while on top anymore, so he decided to go to the bottom. But then I noticed what appeared to be labored breathing with his mouth was open. I don't notice anything objectively wrong with him other than his gills are really flared out with each inhale, and his whole body was kinda moving with his breathing.

And on top of it all, just like Germaine, he hasn't been eating much! I even bought some "Blood Worm Treat," per the pet store's suggestion, since he hadn't really taken to the pellets too much, though I'd seen him eat a few pellets since I've gotten him. I never see him really go after the worms, and most of them I tend to find the next day tangled up in the plastic plant or the filter.

So please, anybody, please answer me this question: WHY WON'T MY BETTAS EAT / WHAT AM I DOING WRONG?

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
For starters, this information will be VERY helpful to us to help diagnose the problem...

Housing
What size is your tank?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have a filter?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Is your tank heated?
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
How often do you feed your betta fish?

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change?
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallons
What temperature is your tank? Around 78 I believe
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellets and dried bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Around once daily

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? He's only been in his new home a while, but plan to do 50% weekly or biweekly.
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? Read above
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters? Nah

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? Can't tell
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? Heavy breathing, laying under heater
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Today
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Don't know how
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Not that I know of
How old is your fish (approximately)? No idea

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also, how long had you had Germaine? Was his a fairly quick death too, or was had you had him for an extended period of time?
As I mentioned in the original post, my previous thread should still exist on my page. Long story short, I got Germaine in college, had him for about 4 months no real problem, took him home, got him some new digs, died.

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
When you got your new betta after Germaine's passing, did you clean the tank and all the decor and change the water? And when you bought all new stuff, was it rinsed before it went in the tank?

At 1.5 gallons, you should probably be doing more water changes, as the water parameters can become quickly dangerous sometimes, so I would DEF do the 2 50% water changes you were thinking about. If you haven't kept up with that yet, his behavior MIGHT be related to his water conditions. I would get a test kit and keep an eye on those, and see what they are and keep those down.

There is also the possibility that had you not rinsed everything in the tank after Germaine, that Marrow picked up whatever might have killed Marrow. I know Marrow isn't currently eating, but was his poop normal before that?

·
Banned
2,033 Posts
Went and read the previous post too, just now. I know you're using a water conditioner, which is very important. How far away from your college is your home? Would the water becoming from the same water source? I'm wondering if the water at your home might START with high ammonia, which might be why Germaine passed so quickly after bringing him home after 4 months or being OK at College.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts