Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I wasn't sure where exactly to put this thread, But I'd imagine that breeders are the best people to ask about fry behavior.

Things are going pretty well with my female half-moon. She's about two months old and couldn't be sexed at all when I got her. (I still can't be 100% sure about whether or not she's male or female but my hunch is definitely female) Heres a picture of her.

Heres a bit of the details about her care

She's a little under an inch long.
She's in a 2.5 gallon thank that is moderately planted with silk plants and one marimo.
Its kept at 79 degrees (heated with a self adjusting 25 watt heater) Once she has matured a little more, I will be moving her to a 10 gallon.
I do a 25% water change every other day and there is no aeration or filtration.
I feed her baby brine shrimp
Yesterday, I put a micro pellet in there to see if she was ready to eat it. She didn't have any problems with it so I'm sticking to one pellet in the morning and one at night since she's still pretty small.
Let me know if I'm doing something wrong here.

Now for behavior. This is possibly the most active betta Ive ever seen. She's always exploring and darting around the tank. She's probably about as active as a danio. Ive never seen her sit still for more than a couple seconds. Whenever I come close to the tank. She rapidly swims back and fourth against the front of the glass and does little wiggle dances.
I can't tell if she's just over excited or if this is a stress behavior. Is this normal for young betta? Could it just be a personality trait that I've never seen? Ive had active bettas but never like this. I really hope this isn't due to stress.

·
Premium Member
22,700 Posts
You actually want to feed her MUCH more than that. She needs to eat twice a day at the least, three times is good as well. Her belly should expand to be nice and round for one feeding.

And yes, that behavior is typical of all Betta's technically, it's just exaggerated in some. Females tend to have more expressive natures.

Have you read this? even though it's PetCo babies, the care still applies: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=457330

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you :) Im still feeding her the brine shrimp in-between pellets. I know they need to eat a lot but Im not entirely sure how much... Before I started the pellets, I fed brine shrimp 3 times a day and now I'm feeding her a pellet in the morning, Brine shrimp for lunch, and another pellet in the evening. I know they expand, so I wasn't sure how many pellets are acceptable.

Great to know the behavior is normal. I usually keep females and they've always been more active than my males. I was just a little thrown off haha I've never seen them be this active. She almost reminds me of a puppy

And no, I haven't read it. Ill check it out. Thank you!

·
Registered
8,887 Posts
Sometimes I think Betta splendens breeders pump an unnaturally high amount of food into their young fish. Yes, multiple feedings will give you a faster growth rate, but they will still grow with one or two small feedings a day.

None of my fry are fed multiple times a day and they still reach the standard adult size, it just takes them a little longer to do so.

My female Betta splendens (and even my female wild bettas) have always shown fairly high activity levels compared to the males. Perhaps your female will slow down a little as she matures.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.