Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
No this isn't about my adventures in breeding bettas... not in my immediate future anyway..

I'm going to--tomorrow-- for the first time in my life buy a fish before I lose my current fish. I've never had more than one betta before, but I'm diving in head first per usual and I'm going to go get 2 little marbled girls. They're so beautiful and they look like they could use a warm home. I'm really excited to get them. I'm genuinely excited to see how they grow out with some love and warm clean water.

So I guess I'll introduce who I've got right now and then I'll introduce who I'm getting.

Levi is my Dragon Scale male, never was positive about his tail shape/size. I got him just before my birthday in August. I just loooved his steely almost lavender colored body and his beautiful red fins. Unfortunately he got fin rot a bit after I brought him home but I'm happy to say he's on the mend. :)

The first picture is at the store on the day I brought him home on August 4th
The second is the worst of is finrot November 17th this picture makes me want to cry...
The third is yesterday December 31st

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Snails

I'll introduce my snails, cos.. Why not?
I have one Gold Mystery snail, firstly named Mr. Gold but just recently renamed Gary, and two Nerite snails one Zebra, Zeb, and one Leopard, Leo. Again I jumped in head first with these guys but they'll soon be moved to my 29G once it's heated.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Chula

Sorry that picture is sideways..

So this is one of the little girls I'm picking up tomorrow. She's a marbled koi female, with white, black, and a little bit or golden yellow. I just love her spotty little dorsal fin. I asked my sister what she should be named and she came back with Spatula... My sister is almost 25 years old.. She offered Chula afterwards which is cute girl in Spanish so I decided to go along with it. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Daria

Again with the sideways pictures... =_=

So this is Daria. When I first found these two, I was initially more taken with her, because of all of her marbling. Her eyes crack me up too, how she looks constantly unimpressed. They are reminescent of Daria's eyes from the 90's cartoon. Hence the name. I'm really sooooo excited to pick up these girls tomorrow!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know the thread title is misleading, but the bettas I have are my babies even tho they're not actually babies.
Also inspired by Grace Helbig. lol

·
Registered
78 Posts
Beautiful fish!

The first koi female looks like my male, Cosmo! He has the same patterning of black on his tail, although no gold.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you! I'm quite fond of them myself. <3

I picked up Spatula and Daria today, it was water change day at petco. A third of them had water changes a third of them were yet untouched and the other third were up at the counter. My girls, to my delight had their water changes. I walked around looking at other things I wanted to buy, but only left with the girls.

Once I got home, I let them acclimate for around 15 minutes. I checked the water parameters of their new tanks and the water they came home in, it was quite nearly identical. No wonder they're all clamped and sad when I go there, cold + terrible water change schedule + a higher PH. I struggle with the PH here at home too.

I've been up for about 30 hours now. Was too excited about fish to sleep last night, around the 4 am mark I thought it would be a fun idea to stay up ALL night. Then around the 9 am mark I thought, "Well I'm awake so, if I sleep any now I won't be able to sleep tonight when I need to so I can get up on time for work tomorrow." Now at the 3 pm mark I'm thinking, "well a 20 min nap can't be SO bad." I'm going to go have some tea, in case I do pass out I'll have at least some caffeine coursing thru my veins.

I'll try to get some pictures of the girls at some point. I would really like to get them a bigger tank to split with a divider. That's the next goal after getting the heater and light for the 29G.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Oh I love having these little girls! They seem to be pretty active now that they're no longer in their tiny cups. Daria more so than Spatula. I've never had girls before but to they get a little sluggish when they're eggy? Spatula seems so chubby, like I can almost see the eggs in her. I worried too that maybe Spatula was bloating or something, but I can't tell from the top if her scales are poking out or not. I dunno, you can tell me what you think about her shape. I'm monitoring her closely. Her colors are so much more vibrant already tho! Her "golden yellow" is turning more orange. I'm hoping she develops more of it. I have them in their own little set ups right now on a cookie sheet on the kitchen table above the heater hoping it keeps it warm enough for them.

Levi seems to have scraped himself on something, I'm assuming it's the driftwood piece I put in there for the snails to eat off of, BUT he built his first bubble nest over night! You can see him pose with it LOL he is so proud. It's like he saw the girls from across the room or something! I don't even see how that's possible but it's funny to me that he somehow just knew.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Something I noticed with Levi yesterday.. His cheek seems to be stuck out. I don't know what might have happened or what caused that. I sort of noticed it yesterday when I noticed the scrape on his side.. Maybe it somehow happened when he got that? I tried to get a picture where you could see it. Needless to say the driftwood is out of that tank now. Sorry snails..
He sorta just pecked at his food yesterday. I'll see how he goes today.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Here's another picture I just took of the scales sticking out on Levi's cheek. I noticed too he isn't sucking pellets into his moth like he used to. I keeps trying but it seems like his mouth can't open very wide. I squished down the pellet and he immediately ate the whole thing in one bite. I don't know what's going on.. As you can tell by the blurry picture, he's still zipping around fast enough to make it hard to get a picture. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Levi still has his weird cheek thing, but is really active and is able to eat as long as I flatten his soaked pellets. He's very happy to eat tho. It was suggested I keep his tank extremely clean so everybody got water changes and a slight scrub today. The snails had fun going into the filter compartment while I sucked up gunk with the baster. lol

After work today I went to the thrift store to look at what they had for tanks. They had a 10G but getting closer I realized it was a terrarium, which I might have been able to make work had it not been for the giant crack across the bottom. I did pick up however a mostly whole 3G(?) plastic tetra tank kit for $3.75. It has a small crack up at the top but I just won't fill it all the way, plus will be a nicer emergency tank than the tiny 1G air stone tank I bought. It had parts of a tetra whisper filter and a 4W submersible pump. How would one go about cleaning these things? I stuck the pump in water and plugged it in and it worked, but a whole bunch of gunk came out. All the pieces are soaking in water right now. I'll think on this and act tomorrow. Still on the hunt for a glass 10G tank for the girls so I can get them set up and warm and filtered and happy. They're doing just fine right now, but everything can always be better. I'll head to the other thrift store on my way home from work tomorrow. I believe I saw a tank last time I was there. Fingers crossed it--or something better-- is there!

EDIT: It's a 2.5G. I also just noticed that the suction cups from the pump are missing. It will have to be pieced together if I choose to use it. I'll just have to keep scavenging. Oh well. lol

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Levi's cheek has gone back to normal and I've bought some smaller, better quality food so he hasn't had trouble eating. Everyone is fat and happy.

I've finally made a decision about my 29G tank. I think I'm not going to buy any more fish for now. (Even though I did find a beautiful gray irridescent guy at Petco the other day...) I got my light and my heater last night in the mail so I'm going to put the snails in the 29G, and once I get the rest of the things, I'm going to make it a planted tank with snails only for now. Then I'll get the girls into a roomy divided tank. I found the tank I want with the filters. It's a bigger version of the Imagitarium Levi is in. I need to order the heater for the girls tank first then the tank since amazon to Alaska is so infinitely slower than amazon to Oregon. hahaha. I'll hopefully have the girls set up ordered by this weekend.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Paperclip

I think I'm not going to buy any more fish for now..
Remember this?? Well apparently I lied and I didn't realize it. Meet Paperclip! (I need to stop letting my friends name my fish...)

I went to Petco today to kill some time before I had to go pay my bill at the dental office. (Which was closed today anyway so I didn't need to be in town at all...) I was looking thru their rather slim selection. Admiring the King bettas and thinking how majestic a King would look in my 29G planted tank before slapping my hand and saying "It's not even planted yet you fool!"
I came across this poor boy, a very pretty green teal color labeled as paradise, that was so very bloated and constipated and having a hard time not floating. He was laying on his side and couldn't get up right. Just having a very hard time. I felt so bad, I wanted to take him home, but with the $20 price tag and the fact that I didn't have a set up that would be good for an ailing fish, I told the girl at the store that I fish talk with what was wrong and she took him to the sink to better keep an eye on him. I hope he survives. He was absolutely beautiful, I wish I had taken a picture but he looked so sad. If he does make it I might get him later.

ANYWAY, I'm holding that paradise fish when I see Paperclip. Silvery, iridescent, SPOTTED DORSAL. My heart lept. He looked like a little salmon. I want to name him Filet, but I promised my friend could name the next fish I got since I wouldn't let her rename Daria to Fork... SMH. I never thought I'd own a double tail but I thought he was just gorgeous, and with that double tail price tag at 7.99 I couldn't say no! I think once we get him more relaxed and happy he's going to brighten up with some red on his anal fin. I can't wait.

I tried to set up that 2.5G I purchased a couple weeks ago but the PH has skyrocketed. The PH he's in now is high at around 8 but my tank for him is at 8.4 so I don't know what to do. My mom had an experience last week with a fish I bought her from Betta Mafia when her tank's PH spiked without her knowledge and the poor little thing didn't survive the hour that he arrived so now I'm paranoid. How does one lower PH? My water is high already but I feel uneasy about it being higher than 7.5. I put IAL in the tank hoping it would lower the PH for Paperclip to move in right away but I'm at a loss as to what to do how to get him fresh water, how to move him in, all that jazz. Any ideas?

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
I could, but since he's already in water thats at a high PH level I don't want to shock him with the change. Plus this will be my 6th tank, one of those tanks is a 29 G so buying water would to be spendy.

I went to walmart for groceries. I stepped into the aquarium aisle for a second to see 10 G tank prices and walked out with a tank... So the girls have a tank now -phew- just have to get it set cycled and get a divider then they can move in.

I'm planning on making a plant order soon. All these tanks are bare as heck and its stressing me out.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Poor little Paperclip seems so stressed still. He ate a little bit yesterday and today. He was not clamped yesterday, but this morning he was very clamped. I put IAL in everyones tanks. This morning they all were swimming in tea. lol. I hope that's okay. I hope he can relax soon..

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Not too sure how well they work, but have you ever tried the pH down supplements that you can add?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I've never tried them. I should do some research on here.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I woke up and went to feed everybody and guess who greeted me at the front of his tank? I guess Paperclip is feeling a little better? He seems to be responding to me as I walk by his tank and swimming around more than yesterday. He scared me a couple times, I would walk into the kitchen and see him still in the corner next to the plants I have floating in there. I got up close trying to see if his gills were moving but they didn't seem to be. So I slid his tank a little to the side and I startled him. I feel bad about that.. but I'm glad he seems to be going better today.

Yesterday I pushed his tank to the back of the counter a little closer to Levi. They cant see each other tho, at least they haven't shown they can see each other, there's a good 9 or so inches between their tanks. Neither of them have been obsessed with or even shown more than normal interest that side of their tanks so I feel like they're safe.

I hope he continues to feel better. I've never had a fish so listless and lethargic from the store before. They almost always perked up immediately. It goes to show me they really do have their own personalities and take their own time to get used to new surroundings. My heart goes out to Paperclip, I'm also not so easily adapted to a new situation but he's handling it like a champ.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
I have competing boys! I come home from work to find both Levi and Paper clip are making bubble nests! (pls ignore the tea water...)

Paper clip has an adorable nearly circular in the thick of it. He posed with it too. lol So cute. Levi had to show off cos he's been practicing ever since I got the girls, so he made his bigger.

I'm so glad Paperclip is doing better. He seems much happier now that his first couple couple of days here. I'm soooo happy!

I can't figure out how these photos are rotating when I upload them, and I can't figure out how to fix them after I've uploaded them.. sorry for the upside down pic.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 42 Posts