Betta Fish Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Last night was scary.

I was awake and lying in bed when I felt a little shake. "Oh it's another little earthquake." The little shake grew a little bit and began to rattle my sliding closet doors. It went on for like a minute. "Oh this is not good I thought.." Still in bed, I got my phone out and started googling. Nothing. "That was certainly not nothing." I thought to myself. I kept looking for something and then it was there. All of a sudden I get an alert from my weather app and a text alert: TSUNAMI WARNING.
I lept up, put clothes on. "Oh no oh no oh no oh no." Apparently I'm no good in a crisis. "Okay, stop. What do you need. Clothes. Blankets. Pillows." I started packing. Bad time to pack is when you need to go. I got it loaded in my car. I have sent to me land fall times. I'm not on the list but I still feel unsafe. I live less than four miles from the ocean and I live in a basement. "Not good not good not good not safe not safe not safe" The panic side of my brain keeps repeating. "Stop. Breathe. You're not on the warning. You're ready to go if you have to." Panic still says it's not safe to sleep in the basement, so I end up hanging out in the back of my car bawling my eyes out, cos my family lives 3000 miles away, they got a warning too, and my fish are still in the house. I didn't know what to do. Do I go? Do I stay? Am I overreacting? After the landfall warning time came and went I figured I should just go back inside. It was awful. Thankfully it turned out to be okay and no real damage occurred. I crashed just before the tsunami warning was disabled at 4 am. Every creak of the house, every whistle of wind had me on edge before exhaustion took over and I slipped into unconsciousness.

Today I am so thankful that it turned out to be fine but still so exhausted. Everybody is okay.

·
Registered
47 Posts
That sounds awful D: I'm glad you're okay though. It's hard to know how we'll react until something actually happens. I think some panic is pretty normal, though, and you got yourself packed up just in case in spite of it :) Better safe than sorry, yeah? You did good.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #23

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got some cute pictures of Paperclip this evening. His colors are really coming thru now that he's more relaxed and happier.

The paint drips on the front of the tank got in the way of good pictures. I tried to get the paint off with a teeny tiny bit of acetone and now there are marks all over the tank from that as if I took sand paper to it. Looks like eventually Paperclip will be moving into glass once I find something cheap enough.. I want to dilute the IAL water too so everyone is back into clear water again.. I miss being able to see their real colors not filtered thru tea...

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
I'm a little peeved... I buy that 10 G kit from walmart the other day only to find out today that the $! a Gallon sale is on at Petco... Bleh.. I'll have to go by today to see if there are any 5 G tanks that I need. Just in time for me ruining Paperclip's tank! hahah.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Just really cleaned everybody's tanks. Slowly diluting the IAL. lol

I've been struggling with a migraine for the last 2 days. I also decided that after this I probably not have more than one or two fish after this, just for their sake since my health seems to be declining slowly. I dunno. I'll probably eat my words later but that's my determination.

I'm gonna go feed everyone and then try any nurse this migraine before work tomorrow.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Paperclip was a little off yesterday.

I fed everybody yesterday morning, nothing abnormal, no difference in behavior.
Upon getting home from work, everyone wriggled and greeted me as I walked in the door except Paperclip. He was laying underneath his folded IAL leaf.

I'm waiting on plants in the mail so everyone's tanks are a little sparse. I have Moss balls, a supposed to me planted but seems to prefer floating plant that I can't remember the name of and Angel Wing Begonia clippings growing in the girls tanks which are giving them a little bit of cover as well as growing roots for them to rest in. Levi has a Moss ball and that plant that I can't remember the name of floating in his as well as a leaf hammock. Paperclip is by far my most sensitive fish. He does not like his lights on so and he NEEDED a hidey place so he has a folded IAL leaf for hiding, the mystery not floating/floating plant, and a Philodendron clipping for resting in the roots. ANYWAY...

Paperclip was hiding under his IAL leaf when I got home. He didn't come out to see me or what I was doing which was weird since he(they) always comes up to the front of the tank to see what I'm up to if I walk by. I tried to let him rest while I made dinner hoping he'd come out to see what was up, but he didn't. I couldn't handle it so I moved his leaf to see if he was alive. He moved! Thank goodness! So I carried on and let him do his thing. After I ate I went to feed everyone. Little piggy Levi was more than happy to eat but Paperclip was again not aware of anything going on. This time this he was laying in the roots of the Philodendron. I wasn't moving and this time I didn't see any noticeable gill movement. I got really scared again. I didn't want to disturb him if he was resting tho.. so I carried on feeding everyone. I put some pellets in his tank. No reaction. Then I accidentally hit the leaf of the roots he was resting in and jostled him awake. He came over and ate a little bit. Not as voraciously as normal but he ate some. Then he sort of just drifted to the bottom and rested there at the front of the tank, fins somewhat clamped. I don't know what was going on with that boy.

When I did their water changes and tank cleanings on Monday night I did add a Moon Rock cave to Paperclips tank. Since he's so sensitive maybe he was upset I added something new?

This morning he seemed alright. He greeted me and ate just fine. I'll see how he is when I get home I guess.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I suppose I should update as it's been a several days. Paperclip has gone back to normal. He's chipper and active as ever. I've kind of noticed he sort of has a hard time seeing the pellets when I put them in there so I try to plop them in front of him so he sees them before they sink. Unfortunately he's a little slow.. lol. These North Fin pellets sink so fast!

I just noticed yesterday what looks to be a little spot of.. something in the center of each of Daria's eyes. I'm not sure what it is if it's clouding or what. It looks what I think to cataracts? Is that a thing? I don't know, she still sees her food perfectly fine.

On a different note; I seem to keep catching the snails fall off the walls of their tank, or finding them upside down having fallen from the walls of the tank. Is this normal? Should I be worried?

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
My aquarium plants came in today! I'm very happy with how they look, but the amount of plants that came for a 55 G+ grab bag was slightly disappointing. I got a couple of hitch hikers too. I got a couple of snails--one didn't make it-- and some Duckweed. The latter I was hoping for so I'm excited about that. Not as excited for another snail, but oh well. I really hope they live.. I spent too much on them..

I have the moon stone in Paperclip's tank. Levi didn't seem to care for it, so I didn't think Paperclip would either, but since I took away his IAL I had to give him somewhere to be able to hide. The other day I caught him hanging out in there, and again today. So adorable. hahah

I've noticed the last couple of days that Spatula always lunges at her food. Everyone else swims underneath it and just opens their mouths but she jumps. LOL

Levi didn't want to eat tonight. He did look full so hopefully that's all and I hope he goes back to normal tomorrow.

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I got all of my pixel art babies this weekend from @Evil Seedlet ! I love them sooo much! I love looking at them in my sig. I also have them on my desktop at work so I can always see them. <3 <3 <3 <3

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
I got this picture of Paperclip the other day. I thought it was pretty nice and showed off his colors well. I can't wait to get the girls into the split 10 G so I can get better pictures of them. I'm waiting on the binder slip things from amazon so I can make the divider, of course I ordered the one from the UK so It'll be a bit before they get here. I'll have lots of left overs so if anyone needs a divider, let me know. haha

I hadn't seen the new snail since I put him in the girls 10 G. I was getting worried that he maybe died, and that I wouldn't be able to find him since he's smaller than the substrate in there. I searched and searched and searched. He was no where to be seen. Finally after a day or so I pulled the tank away from the wall and turned it around. There he was, eating algae off the suction cup behind the filter. Enjoy it now little man, soon you'll grow too big to fit back there. Ah snail life. I've decided to name the new snail Giovanni. I thought it was a very regal name for a stowaway.

Attachments

·
Registered
115 Posts
How did paper clip get his name?

Sorry if I missed something that mentioned that, I just read that and just about died from laughter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Lol I guess I didn't mention it. My friends mom asked for a paperclip but she said it funny and my friend loves weirdo random object names like that. Since I promised she could name the next fish after I wouldn't let her rename Daria to Fork, she decided on Paperclip. I went with it since he was silvery when I found him, even though his colors have since saturated. She wanted to name Giovanni Toenail and my sister wanted to name him Booger... I have odd friends.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
I bought some flourish excel and more moss balls at petco yesterday. Slim pickings in the betta section and everyone was just in sad shape. Lots of babies I had to stop myself from rescuing cos I'm already slightly overwhelmed by the four fish and the four snails I already have, and I simply don't have the space.
The binder clips for the 10 G divider finally came in today! I set up the divider in the girls tank. I'm gonna let it sit for a little bit and hopefully I can get them in there soon! I can't wait!

I cut my bangs last night.. I cut them too short... EVERY TIME!! Sigh... =_=

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
I was pruning my new aquarium plants last night after that last post cos I noticed the Gold Coin Anubias was getting some transparent goop on it from dying foliage and I noticed my Amazon Sword has a mermaid tail! I'm so stupidly happy about this. hahahah

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Today is tank scrubbing day. Gonna deconstruct everyone's tanks and give them a good cleaning.
I keep finding new snails in the 29G from the new plants. Sigh. I'm gonna have to find some homes for these guys..
I really want to put the girls in the split 10G but the divider is making it so the side without the filter isn't getting filtration.. I feel like I have to go buy two 5G filters so they each get adequate filtration and aeration. I only have the one heater but I feel like that should be okay if I put it in the center.
I want to move some one into the living room but there is no space. I want to put Paperclip in a better tank but I don't have a nicer one that bigger than what he's in. I want some one to go in the 29G but I don't know if it's too much space and there's not enough plants in there yet. I keep seeing maroon EE and I want one despite feeling slightly overwhelmed with the 4 I already have. I want to do all these things but I don't have the means or funds to do any of it. I'm FRUSTRATED. AUGH

Here's something cute I caught Paperclip doing the other day tho.. I walked into the kitchen and saw him curled up and resting on the thermometer in his tank like a little puppy. LOL. Have any of you seen this?? I never had and I laughed so much!

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I removed all the imposter snails I could find. They're currently in a jar.. I need to figure out how to kill them. I'm hoping if I keep up on removing the pond snails and ramshorn snails that came with my plants that I can avoid a full on invasion. Part of me says I'm deluded. lol

Poor Paperclip has not been well. Yesterday morning I noticed he didn't want to eat. So I let him be thinking he'll eat dinner. When I got home from work he was laying in the floating plants I have in there. Still didn't want to eat but he moved to behind his heater when I tried to feed him. Fins clamped. This morning he was laying in his plants again. Did not want to eat, although I was able to get him to eat one pellet. I had to leave for work but as soon as I get home I'm doing water tests on everyone. I really hope he wants to at least eat when I get home. Sigh. Poor sensitive boy. I wanted to bring him in to work but I don't think he'd handle the move well.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
I keep forgetting to update this thing...

Everyone is happy and healthy.

I've started counting everyone's pellets when I feed them because I've noticed that if I just feed them until they stop eating they eat waaaaaaaay too much, the little piggies. I believe that's why Levi and Paperclip would have those on and off not feeling well days. I think they were constipated. Now that I've started feeding them less they haven't had a sick day. Here's hoping it stays that way.
The girls are still not in their divided 10 G. I haven't been able to find two 5 G filters for each side. Has anyone had success having one 10 G filter for a divided tank? When I had the divider up it seemed like the side without the filter wasn't getting water circulation.. The day I had set aside to move the girls I could see a film on top of the water on that side. so I removed the divider to get it all circulating again.. I don't know... I feel so bad that their temporary tanks have lasted so long. I'm ready to have 2 less tanks to clean too. I drained and scrubbed everyone's tanks the other day and when I was done my back was aching so much.
I think I want to put some body in the 29 G but it has little to no coverage as far as plants so I fee like I'd have to buy more of those before I would feel comfortable putting any one in there.
I keep seeing pictures of maroons Elephant Ears on pinterest and I want one so bad but I think 4 fish is enough.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
I forgot to mention yesterday that I found a nip in Levi's tail. I'm hoping it was just one chomp and doesn't become a habit..

21 - 40 of 42 Posts