Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 80F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? Trumpet Snails

Food:
What food brand do you use? New Life Spectrum
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Pellets
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Daily, 2 pellets.

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? Weekly
What percentage of water did you change? 50%
What is the source of your water? Tap, with prime
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? A bit of both
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? Prime

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water *before* the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate:4
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? Yesterday
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? White area between fin and gills.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? No
Is your Betta still eating? Yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? Not sure with what. Did a water change, going to add IAL.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? No
How long have you owned your Betta? 1yr +
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? No

hi everyone, sebastian has been doing super well for the past year, but recently he has developed a white area directly behind his gill. he is still swimming around fine and eating normally. he does seem a wee bit bloated, but not sure it is related. any thoughts? anything to be worried about? the other side of his body appears normal (the same spot is the same color as the rest of his body)

thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
111 Posts
Based on your parameters, I would guess it's just a new coloration appearing as your betta ages? Does the white look cotton-y or is a different texture from your betta?

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Does not look cotton-y, but it does appear to be a little different texture than the rest of his body, like no scales in the spot.
The area that has changed does appear to be a bit swollen...

·
Super Moderator
2,925 Posts
If you could get a clear, close up, picture it'd help us to see what's going on Just going by your picture, and what you wrote in the form, I'd hate to even take a guess because it could be so many things, or it could simply be color change.

·
Super Moderator
2,626 Posts
Hi, it's possible that he may have injured himself doing something silly.
Let's give him an extra water change a week if you can manage that and keep his tank as clean as possible. You can add some Indian Almond Leaf or plain, unscented Rooibos tea (can be found in the grocery store, I use Twinnings). It'll make your water dark by adding tannins, but will have some antibacterial and antifungal properties.

Also, keep an eye out for any tight spaces that you think he might try to squeeze himself into. You might think it's too small for him, but he sure as heck will try.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Sorry for not replying earlier, if it doesn't appear cotton-y it might just be new colors or lost scales? He seems fine to me but my experience is limited.

I would agree with Veloran and the extra water changes as a preventative.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts