Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys so I’m a new fish keeper but I’ve done years of research on betta fish just because I wanted to have good knowledge on them before I purchased one so this is how my life turned upside down since getting one and yes I know I shouldn’t have gone to pets at home but it is what it is
So exactly 5 ago now my pets at home had a delivery of betta and I went ahead and got one and called him drogon from GOT, I had his tank set up a few weeks before hand to partially cycle it however because of the amount of plants I wasn’t too worried about ammonia build up it’s got java fern with sand and floating plants nice and simple 24.4l tank with a hang on back filter and a heater and a air stone
Got my betta home and drip acclimated him as to what the store told me which was poke holes in the bag and let him float in ur tank lol no thank you I don’t want ur water contaminating my tank. Oh I also got three endlers the same time and they all seemed to be doing fine my betta was sooo shy and just hid for the first hour and so did the endlers but I left the lights off to let them get used to their home and the moment I turn the lights on I see this white looking spot on his tail and I assumed it’s ich instantly because it didn’t look fuzzy to me so i didn’t think it was fungal and I rang the store and they said to come in tomorrow to get medication. So I took my betta with me and the endlers because if it was a parasite I rather deal with one now the girl at the shop said it’s fungal and gave me some API stress coat and API aquarium salt and the next day he was much better in regards to energy but the white spot was still there so I went again the next day and they gave me API pimafix. I’m currently on day 3 of medication and don’t see much of difference however he did eat for the first time but that could be because he was too shy at first I’m feeding him flakes and every now and then frozen bloodworms I do need to get some betta pellets now my question to you guys is what do you think he has because a part of me thinks it’s bacterial

·
Premium Member
1,318 Posts
Please copy and paste into a new message and fill out this form when seeking help for your Betta. This information and a clear photo posted directly into the thread will help us give you the most accurate advice possible. Without the information and photos the best we can do is guess.

Even if you're already answered many of the questions in text form you we ask you fill out the form so we will have a quick reference for information.

Before responding to a call for help please request this form be filled out or wait until it is.

If you need more information ask in text; do not make any alterations to this form. If you have suggestions for additions to this form please contact a Moderator.

Thank you,

The Betta Fish Team

Many illnesses can be traced to water conditions. Your water-changing schedule is the most important element in diagnosing. Please be honest.

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank?
Does it have a filter?
Does it have a heater?
What temperature is your tank?
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind?

Food:
What food brand do you use?
Do you feed flakes or pellets?
Freeze-dried?
How often do you feed your Betta? How much?

Maintenance:
Before
your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change?
What percentage of water did you change?
What is the source of your water?
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water?
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner?

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia:
Nitrite:
Nitrate:
pH:
Hardness (GH):
Alkalinity (KH):

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?
How has your Betta’s appearance changed?
How has your Betta’s behavior changed?
Is your Betta still eating?
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how?
Does your Betta have any history of being ill?
How long have you owned your Betta?
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased?

PLEASE PROVIDE CLEAR PHOTOS

NOTE: EMBED YOUR PHOTOS. PLEASE DO NOT LINK. Click on the paper clip in the toolbar.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? Just over 6 gallons
Does it have a filter? Yes
Does it have a heater? Yes
What temperature is your tank? 26-27c
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Aquarian flakes and frozen bloodworms
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? No
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? Once a day and 3-4. Bloodworms or flakes

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? It was a brand new establishing tank
What percentage of water did you change? None as it’s new
What is the source of your water? My tap
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? I will be vacuuming the sand once I do a water change
What additives do you use? What brand of conditioner? API stress coat and water conditioner

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you. Important: Test your water before the regular water change; not after one.

Ammonia: I’m not sure
Nitrite: I’m not sure
Nitrate: not sure
pH: not sure
Hardness (GH): not sure
Alkalinity (KH): not sure

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms? As soon as I purchased him and got him in my tank
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? Was always like that
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? Hid the first day I got him and on day 5 where he explores the tank and is active
Is your Betta still eating? Yes he ate on the fourth day
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? API aquarium salt and pimafix
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? Not sure
How long have you owned your Betta? 5 days
Was he or she ill or suffering some sort of damage when purchased? Yes

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey and yes I did for about
Two weeksnd I used something called a filter booster. Than you he’s soooooo beautiful hence why I didn’t return him and decided to treat him instead. Do you think that looks like fungal infection to you

·
Registered
223 Posts

Hello!
I can see slightly what you're referencing in some of the pictures, but to me it looks like it might be him growing into his colors, especially the iridescent and some metallic color. I once thought mine had ich and it was his white tips coming in on his ventral fins... I was worried till I noticed the other side doing that too.

I asked about how you cycled your tank because it's often confused with just having your tank running. Unfortunately just adding bacteria and plants doesn't cycle your tank. The live plants do help though, but you'll need to go through a fish in cycle. There are very clear instructions that are simple to follow and cause the least stress on your betta. If possible I'd suggest an API master test kit. You can get hundreds of tests out of that kit VS the unreliable strips.

If he's been in his tank 5 days he is probably going to start going through some ammonia and nitrite poisoning if you don't complete some frequent water changes. It shouldn't be much longer though if you've had your tank set up a couple weeks though. I'll link below how to do the cycling for fish in and many here can help out with that. (I personally think many do fish in cycles but get chastised on other forums for doing so) that's not the case here at all, I'll tag @RussellTheShihTzu or @Veloran and they can maybe offer more knowledgeable info if I'm incorrect.

He is a stunning red guy and looks absolutely beautiful. I'm not familiar with pimafix and melafix so maybe they can also help you out with that. I would recommend an API test kit and Seachem Prime. Seachem is one of the few that will actually neutralize the ammonia and nitrites in the tank. Many claim to, but very few actually do. It has become my personal choice for all water changes.

The benefit of the API test kit is you will be able to test your water daily till your tank is fully cycled. I'm thinking that with more frequesnt water changes, till you're getting a reading on nitrates, he will slowly improve and prevent any stress.

Stress can bring out all sorts of diseases in fish. From what I understand, most are already in the tank but it't the stress that beings them to fruition.

Here's the link for a fish in cycle. It can also be found under the care section of this site.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Heyy and do you see that white spot on his tail that’s what I’m worried about the most do you think that’s just gonna part of his tail growing ? And you’re right I need a kit and hopefully will have one tomorrow. In regards to water changes I was medicating him on API pimafix because I thought he had a fungal and still do tbh because of that white spot. It says to do a water change on the seventh day however I did one today of 30% and i was hoping the plants wouldn’t allow the ammonia to build up enough to become unsafe for the fish but I guess I was wrong

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
And thank you he’s absolutely stunning he’s got a beautiful violet tone to his scales and he’s a beautiful deep red and thank you I’ll have a read of that now x

·
Super Moderator
22,880 Posts
Is the area fuzzy? Has it spread? Many issues can be resolved just by keeping the water the cleanest. Two 50% weekly water changes are a good start. Use a turkey baster to remove any leftover food between times.

Both Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos Tea have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I like to make a strong tea and pour into the tank along with floating a leaf or a teabag. Water should be a dark brown. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator.

To keep Ammonia down, a new tank may need a 25%-50% water change 2 x per week until it is cycled. I use the method in the Forum's tutorial linked above. You'll need a way to test Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. In the long run, it is cheaper than the strips. For about the same price you get 200 tests of each parameter as opposed to 25 with the strips.

He's a lovely boy.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Is the area fuzzy? Has it spread? Many issues can be resolved just by keeping the water the cleanest. Two 50% weekly water changes are a good start. Use a turkey baster to remove any leftover food between times.

Both Indian Almond Leaves and plain Rooibos Tea have antibacterial and antifungal properties. I like to make a strong tea and pour into the tank along with floating a leaf or a teabag. Water should be a dark brown. You can store leftovers in the refrigerator.

To keep Ammonia down, a new tank may need a 25%-50% water change 2 x per week until it is cycled. I use the method in the Forum's tutorial linked above. You'll need a way to test Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates. I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. In the long run, it is cheaper than the strips. For about the same price you get 200 tests of each parameter as opposed to 25 with the strips.

He's a lovely boy.
Hey and no the area isn’t fuzzy at all I’ve even zoomed in to make sure deffo not fuzzy. However it might not have spread due to treating him with API aquarium salt and API pimafix and I know they use clove oil so I’m extra careful to underdose by the slightest just to be on a safe side.
I did some research and it turns out for some reason dragon scale Bettas which is assuming what I have because hes got this chrome violet tone that catches the light tend to get random growths like that more often than the normal Bettas due to their gene however I could be wrong and it could be a fungal. I’m given him a 2 day break from API pimafix and I’ll monitor it carefully to make sure it doesn’t spread or get fuzzy. When I got him it was already there but it has grown in the last few days to a bigger size.
I have some almond leaves ordered so hopefully they won’t be long. I did a 30% water change yesterday and will do the same again tomorrow Till I can get strips which should be today evening time. Also I don’t leave any uneaten food I only feed him the size of his eyeball and I have white sand so I can pick up his poo with a turkey baster it’s actually easy to see.
And thank you he’s GORGEOUS

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Hi, he's a beautiful little crowntail betta.
It also looks like he's got a little cyst on his anal fin and may be developing a tumor or cyst on his body.
Since he initially co-mingled with the endlers in the tank, it probably would do well to do a water change first.

If you want to take a step further, you could give him a treatment with Prazi-Pro or methylene blue, but I do believe the first step would be to do the water change and see how he progresses. He may have picked up a couple issues from the endlers.

Also, StressCoat+ is a water conditioner as well, so no need to use one in conjunction with it.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi, he's a beautiful little crowntail betta.
It also looks like he's got a little cyst on his anal fin and may be developing a tumor or cyst on his body.
Since he initially co-mingled with the endlers in the tank, it probably would do well to do a water change first.

If you want to take a step further, you could give him a treatment with Prazi-Pro or methylene blue, but I do believe the first step would be to do the water change and see how he progresses. He may have picked up a couple issues from the endlers.

Also, StressCoat+ is a water conditioner as well, so no need to use one in conjunction with it.
Thank you he’s a beautiful little guy. And yes I agree I don’t believe it to be fungal it’s either a cyst or a tumour. Is their anyway to tell the difference??? And I’ve done a water change twice now so he should have 50% new water in his tank and the endlers came from the same shop he did they were all linked to one system so the water ran through each tank was the same. Is their any chance I don’t have to medicate him and I can just let him go on as he is as long as the growth says to a reasonable size and doesn’t rupture or go fuzzy etc. I should be getting the API fresh water master kit in the next few hours as I have amazon prime and should have gotten it before I even got him but I guess we learn

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Cysts are usually more fluid filled, tumors are more solid. When they're larger, if you shine a light through them, the cyst will appear translucent and the tumor will be dark. It's not the easiest thing to do with a young active betta though. In most cases, the cyst will eventually rupture and it is at this point you can start with some aquarium salt for a few days to keep the wound sterile.

You don't need to medicate him, keep the water clean and he should be able to take care of the little problems on his own.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cysts are usually more fluid filled, tumors are more solid. When they're larger, if you shine a light through them, the cyst will appear translucent and the tumor will be dark. It's not the easiest thing to do with a young active betta though. In most cases, the cyst will eventually rupture and it is at this point you can start with some aquarium salt for a few days to keep the wound sterile.

You don't need to medicate him, keep the water clean and he should be able to take care of the little problems on his own.
Hmm could be either so it’s difficult. Hopefully if it does rupture I already add API aquarium salt to his normal water would that be fine or do you think I if it ruptures I should high the dosage of salt ?? And that’s good to hear I don’t need to medicate him. I have got almond leaves coming tomorrow and they do have great benefits so that should help him out and I got the API master kit for freshwater today delivered and everything seems fine in sense of the water parameters. Do you know anything about using salt and almond leaves together if that can cause an issue or do you think he’ll be fine?

·
Super Moderator
2,776 Posts
Salt and Almond leaves together is fine.
Many people swear by constant usage of low dose aquarium salt, but I do not. Typically I would only recommend aquarium salt for the period when you need to sterilize a wound and only use it for a max of 10 days. There is a concern about the salt affecting their osmoregulation and I try to be really careful about that.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Come to the conclusion Drogon has either a cyst or a tumour. I didn’t think tumours could grow this quick so maybe it’s a cyst ?? I’m losing my mind over this fish. I don’t know how to help him. I assumed it was a fungal infection at first but i treated him for it and it carried on growing. The first picture is when I first got him with it and the second is about 8 days down the line where he’s developed a smaller spot under the white original lump. I would really appreciate everyone’s insight on this and if they’ve experienced anything like This??

1 - 17 of 17 Posts