Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,784 Posts
Hi, he's a beautiful little crowntail betta.
It also looks like he's got a little cyst on his anal fin and may be developing a tumor or cyst on his body.
Since he initially co-mingled with the endlers in the tank, it probably would do well to do a water change first.

If you want to take a step further, you could give him a treatment with Prazi-Pro or methylene blue, but I do believe the first step would be to do the water change and see how he progresses. He may have picked up a couple issues from the endlers.

Also, StressCoat+ is a water conditioner as well, so no need to use one in conjunction with it.

·
Super Moderator
2,784 Posts
Cysts are usually more fluid filled, tumors are more solid. When they're larger, if you shine a light through them, the cyst will appear translucent and the tumor will be dark. It's not the easiest thing to do with a young active betta though. In most cases, the cyst will eventually rupture and it is at this point you can start with some aquarium salt for a few days to keep the wound sterile.

You don't need to medicate him, keep the water clean and he should be able to take care of the little problems on his own.

·
Super Moderator
2,784 Posts
Salt and Almond leaves together is fine.
Many people swear by constant usage of low dose aquarium salt, but I do not. Typically I would only recommend aquarium salt for the period when you need to sterilize a wound and only use it for a max of 10 days. There is a concern about the salt affecting their osmoregulation and I try to be really careful about that.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts