Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did a water change on Furdinand’s tank today and I topped the water up a little more than usual. Then, I was making my own dinner and ran over to feed the betta boys and accidentally left Furdy’s hood just slightly more open than usual.
I’m sure you can guess what happened next… he jumped out and landed on the floor after bouncing off the counter top.
I didn’t find him until over 20 minutes after he jumped. Amazingly he was still alive, although only very slightly tacky to the touch. At first he went immediately to the bottom of the tank gasping for breath. After a couple of hours he’s swimming around fairly normally. He’s a “king” betta and fairly big which is probably a factor in his not drying out so fast

He’s in clean, warm water. His tank is normally darkened from tannins from the Mopani wood in it, but I’ve added an Indian almond leaf and a bag of organic rooibos tea.

I didn’t start a thread in the emergencies section because I already know what needs to be done, I just wanted to commiserate with folks who would understand.

Vertebrate Plant Underwater Organism World

Plant Organism Fin Terrestrial plant Water

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He’s a lovely little big guy that I couldn’t leave at the store. I’ve had bettas jump out before and I wasn’t always so fortunate to find them alive.

We have security cameras in the house so I went back to check the footage so I’d know how long he was out of the water. I was oblivious as I was getting dinner set out and had my back turned when he just popped out of the tank, flopped on the counter and fell to the wood floor.
Our dog sniffed at him and looked over at me then went on about his business. I’m lucky he didn’t eat poor Furdinand.
So far he’s looking ok. Praying he doesn’t get any secondary infections.
It really just takes a split second for things to go pear shaped.

·
Registered
6 Bettas, Innumerable Snails, 3 Mice, 2 Hissing roaches
2,919 Posts
Silly boy.. I'm glad he's okay!

Reactions: sparkyjoe
1 - 9 of 9 Posts