Discussion Starter #1
Housing
What size is your tank?
Ten gallons
What temperature is your tank?
78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter?
No.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration?
No.
Is your tank heated?
Yes, my heater is preset to keep the tank at 78 degrees at all times.
What tank mates does your betta fish live with?
None

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish?
Pellets are my betta's main staple food, but I also feed him flakes & freeze dried bloodworms.
How often do you feed your betta fish?
I feed my fish 3 pellets in the morning when I wake up (6:30am), and either 2 small flakes or a FD bloodworm at about 4 in the afternoon.

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change?
I perform a 25% water change once a week and a 100% water change once a month. I also check the tank every day to make sure there is no poop/leftover food floating around on the bottom ... If there is I remove it with a turkey baster.
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change?
I add some Nutrafin aqua plus Tap Water conditioner.

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
I had my water tested about a week ago at the pet store and they said that all of the levels were perfectly safe and healthy for my betta.

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed?
His dorsal fin has NEVER been in perfect shape, but in the past week and a half I've noticed that it has become fuzzy and there is some brownish/white stuff on the end of it.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed?
Not at all, he still swims around like crazy and very active. He is eating the same as usual and is just as enthusiastic whenever I approach the tank.
When did you start noticing the symptoms?
About a week and a half ago.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how?
Yes. I administered an entire bottle of bettafix over the course of 3 1/2 days. The Fourth day (today) there wasn't enough left to give the full dosage. I have a 10 gallon tank so there just wasn't enough in the bottle to continue the treatment for the reccommended 7 days. The bettafix hasn't helped whatsoever, so I really don't know what to do. The petstore told me bettafix would fix any betta problems ... but it hasn't helped my fish at all :(
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
No.
How old is your fish (approximately)?
I got him from petsmart a few months ago.

Here is a picture, you can't really see the fuzziness on his dorsal fin because Tilly literally would not stop moving and my camera just was not focusing, but you can see how thin and ragged it is:

Attachments

·
Registered
186 Posts
Don't use bettafix! It can actually be harmful to bettas, because it has tea tree oil which can mess up their labyrinth organ. I would suggest starting with an AQ salt treatment(1-3 tsp/gal for 10-14 days), and if that doesn't work, treating with Jungle's Fungus Clear. That stuff works wonders for all kinds of illnesses.

·
Registered
4,109 Posts
Hey how is your betta doing?
Just like LostxinthexMusic said DO NOT USE bettafix or any other medicin with ''fix'' in it. If you overdose it it actually can be fatal.
For the tank size that you have without filter you need to do full water changes abut every 2 wks and it better to do 50% in between.
How he doing? Does he still has that fuzzy growth?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts