Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams and 6 tetras,3) my cat!
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering where this thead fits better- at the breeding section or at the other fish section? Mods can remove it if they want. Anyways, I've my rams for.. i think 4 months. They have laid eggs about 20-30 times- i'm pretty upset just watching them eat their eggs some hours after Tequila lays them (the eggs are fertile, they used to let them become wigglers before eating them in the past). Yesterday, i decided to take some of the eggs, and put them in a breeder-box with an air stone. Today i can see their little eyes, and tomorrow i think they'll hatch. I forgot to say, i have prepared infusoria for them to eat the first few days. Then, I'm planning to feed them egg yolk and crashed flakes. I've never bred fish before(ok, exept of guppies, they where too easy), so if you have any tips to tell me, I'd really apreciate it!! 😁

·
Registered
2 Bettas, 12 Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 11 Birds.
2,519 Posts
I was wondering where this thead fits better- at the breeding section or at the other fish section? Mods can remove it if they want. Anyways, I've my rams for.. i think 4 months. They have laid eggs about 20-30 times- i'm pretty upset just watching them eat their eggs some hours after Tequila lays them (the eggs are fertile, they used to let them become wigglers before eating them in the past). Yesterday, i decided to take some of the eggs, and put them in a breeder-box with an air stone. Today i can see their little eyes, and tomorrow i think they'll hatch. I forgot to say, i have prepared infusoria for them to eat the first few days. Then, I'm planning to feed them egg yolk and crashed flakes. I've never bred fish before(ok, exept of guppies, they where too easy), so if you have any tips to tell me, I'd really apreciate it!! 😁
I'm so excited for you! I have never bred any fish from eggs before (Except for goldfish, but THAT was too easy lol). I don't have any tips because I have never kept rams before. But what I will say is, Keep up the good work, my fingers are crossed for you, and remember to update!

Reactions: betta4ever!

·
Registered
1) 25 litres, Espresso the betta,2) 60 litres with 2 blue rams and 6 tetras,3) my cat!
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm so excited for you! I have never bred any fish from eggs before (Except for goldfish, but THAT was too easy lol). I don't have any tips because I have never kept rams before. But what I will say is, Keep up the good work, my fingers are crossed for you, and remember to update!
thanks! I have a question, non ram-related. My no3 are always 5. Even if i don't change the water for 2 months, it'll still be 5. Is there a reason to do water changes more often than one every 2-3 weeks, especially now with the babies??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I looked at the eggs to see that i already have some wigglers! They hached earlier than expected! Now the real fun starts. 😊 Fingers crossed, and wish me luck!🤞

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It seems that i didn't have much luck... almost all the wigglers fell of the holes of the breeder box, but the parent seem to be taking pretty good care os them! If they become fry- i mean if the parents don't eat them earlier- , I'll siphon some of them, and put them back to the breeder box(i'll put a net around it first)!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
wigglers still alive with the parents doing great work

·
Registered
2 Bettas, 12 Platies, 1 Glofish, Many Goldfish and RRM's, Many Shrimp and Snails, 1 Cory, 11 Birds.
2,519 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The fry are free swimming, and succesfully seperated from their parents! I would feel bad if i put them in the breeder box, so i seperated the tank with a net, so now they have 3 gallons for their own. If they grow a bit (i say if because you never know what might go wrong), i will give them more space. Crossing my fingers once more!

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
First pic is the infusoria culture, and then the babies! Third pic is the net-- the ram-parents are so angry with me!

Attachments

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
First pic is the infusoria culture, and then the babies! Third pic is the net-- the ram-parents are so angry with me!
Wow! Those are a lot of babies! So happy for you! :love: Crossing my fingers for you! 🤞

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Reactions: X skully X

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Bad news. Tequila got trapped in the net twice (that happened 5 days ago, i forgot to update), so i removed it, my fish safety always comes first. They seemed to be quite good parents, but then the babies started lessen and lessen, until all of them died. I don't think they got eaten, so next time i'm going to try changing the water once every 3 days, to see if that helps. I have researched it a ton, and it doesn't seem i'm doing something else wrong, only this. What do you all think? I'm really upset loosig them, and i really want to know what i'm doing wrong... Oh, and Tequila is already eggy again!

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Bad news. Tequila got trapped in the net twice (that happened 5 days ago, i forgot to update), so i removed it, my fish safety always comes first. They seemed to be quite good parents, but then the babies started lessen and lessen. I don't think they got eaten, so next time i'm going to try changing the water once every 3 days, to see if that helps. I have researched it a ton, and it doesn't seem i'm doing something else wrong, only this. What do you all think? I'm really upset loosig them, and i really want to know what i'm doing wrong... Oh, and Tequila is already eggy again!
Oh no! I hope Tequila didn't get hurt! Hmmm. I wonder what's happening to the babies. I hope their not all dyeing. Hopefully their just scared. These seem like very easy fish to breed if Tequila is eggy again lol.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Oh no! I hope Tequila didn't get hurt! Hmmm. I wonder what's happening to the babies. I hope their not all dyeing. Hopefully their just scared. These seem like very easy fish to breed if Tequila is eggy again lol.
Tequila didn't get hurt, she just wanted her babies back! The babies all died yesterday, idk why, and i'm really sad about it. And honestly, everyone sais they're so difficult to breed, and that they lay eggs once a month, but Tequila is special!o_O And they are not difficult to breed, the important is nh4/no2/no3 to be 0, and ph 6,5!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts