Betta Fish Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody!

So, I've got a tiny problem with one little "female" I bought on Friday. I'm setting up a female sorority tank (10 gallon) and I have 4 females right now. I just brought home two on Friday and have them in a 2.5 gal divided quarantine tank. I woke up this morning to find that the smallest of them built a bubble nest! It's not just some bubbles like the ones my Gamisha (my first female) does now and then if she's bored. It a REAL bubble nest! And "she" keeps flaring on the other female. The fish is really small, like 2.5 or 3cm. Is there a chance that "she" is actually a "he"?! I really need to find out what she is because I need 4 females on the sorority... and I don't want any trouble between the 3 I know I have. Please help!

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
the pictures are blurry, but that is definately a real bubble nest. Look at him/her when he/she flares, does he/she have a male beard? Are his/her ventral fins long and thick? if so, chances are he/she is a male. If he's lacking an ovidepositor, he is most deinately male, though some males have them too.

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Can you get any sideshots of her? Males tend to have larger pelvic fins, and even plakats have bigger tails than a female. You can't really tell for sure unless we can see a side view, though. IDK if royal blue is a common coloring in females.

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
At that size it may be months before you find out the gender....good practice for when you decide to spawn!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've seen her flare and she does appear to have some kind of beard... but, all my other females have this kind of beard also. Do males show stress stripes? When I brought them home she was really very stressed and had the stripes on her body. The ventrals are long but not very thick. One of my other girls also has very long ventrals but they're not thick either. Waa!

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Yes, I know from personal expirience that males can get stress stripes. One of my males, Velvet, gets stress stripes during water changes. My other male, Neon, I think he might but it blends into his coloration. So yes, males get stress stripes.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
hmmm, I'm convinced he is a guy. only guys are able to build legit bubble nests. Girls don't have whatever guys do in their saliva that helps them make big bubble nests that stick together like that.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
So, here are some pictures I took from my females with my camera. The blue one has been with me for months, she seems to have a little ovodepositor but it's not very distinguishable. She gets her stress stripes whenever I change the water or she sees a male. She's a big female, though. I've compared her size to Tina's (she my SD/HM female) and she is certainly bigger.

Gamisha

The new ones (the dark one is the one I'm doubting the gender)

The bubble nest

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Male.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I see... pff... this is just great. I hate the fact I'll have to take him back so they give me a "real" female. :-(! I don't have space for another 2.5gal and I just bought all the stuff for my sorority. Damn... Well, thank you guys! I'm sure he'll be a beautiful man when he gets older. But, what about Gamisha? You all said that males have long ventrals... but, I really think that she's a girl. If she were I "he", I'm sure her fins would be much longer by now and she would be much more aggressive towards other males, right?

·
Registered
7,183 Posts
Please don't take him back....he's a plakat...just imagine when someone tries to breed him.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
he's a pretty plakat, though you should take him back if you don't have the right set up, time, or space for him.... or you could ship him to me! (Sorry, I really shouldn't joke :p) But anyways, take him back and try to explain that he is a male to the staff so they'll put him in the right cup.

I'm under the impression Gamisha is a male plakat as well, "she" doesn't seem to look very female to me, but you'll need other people's opinions as well.

·
Registered
653 Posts
What a dilemma.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Please don't take him back. You already have him and he's very handsome. I'm sure you can find somewhere for him.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
You all have to realize Colibir already said she has no more space. If she has a limit, please respect that. If you where in her shoes, you probably wouldn't enjoy being pressured by others to do something you physically can't.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Waa! Thank you everyone! I'm actually in shock and traumatized to think that my Gamishi is a BOY! :'(! Well... I love my fish just the same. Maybe that's why "she" loved to dance and is so very active. But, the other one... I really can't keep him. I would love to, but, with the fact that Gamisha is a HE the only 2.5gal that I have left would be for "her" because I don't think I can put "her" in my new sorority. (Sigh). And, I would really feel bad to have the new little guy in a 0.5gal (or less) bowl. I really spent a lot on the sorority stuff... I can't give him a proper home right now.

Thank's for your support JKFish! :)

1 - 20 of 25 Posts