Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a betta from petco today, supposedly a halfmoon plakat male, but im not so sure. Could someone take a look at tell me f they think this is a female or male? I really like he/she either way, I just want to know. Right now me and my biyfriend have named him Grump because he has a funny grumpy face.

Attachments

·
Registered
124 Posts
Can you get a picture with the flash on? I find it very hard to see since the light on the plants is killing the contrast & balance

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
My money's on male. Can you list your reasons to doubt his gender? That would probably help

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The beard isn't really visible, only seen him flare once, hes kind of small, and I think I saw a little white spot where the egg thing would be but he has white and iridecence on him anyway, so I dont know if it is actually an egg spot or if it is just his coloring.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Male, his anal fin is long and I cant see an eggs spot, oh, and his ventral looks longer than most females.

·
Registered
609 Posts
Male, the body shape and fin size says it all to me.

Give him a few days to get comfortable. I notice in plakats they tend to clamp their fins for a while, keeping their ventrals straight up against their body. My recent plakat let his down after the 2nd day and has been swimming around flaring at everything :lol:

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
He doesn't flare much but he is SUPER active. Hes contantly darting in between all the plants and doing this weird biting motion at me whenever I come near the tank. Hes feisty to be sure. He does have a tendancy to hold his fins kinda close to him though. I think he might be a little young because he is much smaller than the one I had before him and he was much smaller than most of the others in the store. He kept folowing me when I moved and doing the little mouth thing I mentioned earlier. All the other bettas we kinda just floating there. He was looking a little ratty in the fins, but he was just so rambunctious I just fell in love.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts