Betta Fish Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I want to breed dumbo ears hmpk, but i do not know how to do it, so that why I'm creating this discussion, in order to find someone who knows something about it. I will be really grateful if someone can give me tips and advices. Thank a lot!!
I now own a solid red hmpk.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The dumbo mutation is recessive, so you would need both parents to be at least carriers for some of the progeny to be dumbo. Dumbo bred to normal will not produce dumbo unless the normal is also a carrier. But that mating will produce 100% carriers for dumbo and breeding them to each other or to a dumbo will produce dumbos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your answer Imaal!
I'm not sure if i understood 100%, so follow my theory, if i match my hmpk with a normal dumbo i will have hm plakats with dumbo gene, but is not visible becouse is recessive. Then i will metch a male hm pk son (F1) with the mother dumbo and i will achive to have hm plakats with visible dumbo, is that correct? Sorry but genetic is always been my pain in the neck.
Thanks again

Inviato dal mio SM-G970F utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
231 Posts
Thanks for your answer Imaal!
I'm not sure if i understood 100%, so follow my theory, if i match my hmpk with a normal dumbo i will have hm plakats with dumbo gene, but is not visible becouse is recessive. Then i will metch a male hm pk son (F1) with the mother dumbo and i will achive to have hm plakats with visible dumbo, is that correct? Sorry but genetic is always been my pain in the neck.
Thanks again

Correct. That's one way to achieve your goal. But for the sake of clarity, I'd save the word 'normal' for non-dumbo fish, to avoid confusion. In your mating, the HMPK is the normal, and your dumbo female is, well, the dumbo.

The F1s, which will not be visual dumbos, are known as dumbo genotypes. The F2s, some of which will be visual dumbos, are known as dumbo phenotypes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Clear, thanks a lot, i will show results if you are intressed, this will be my first attemp in breeding betta

·
Super Moderator
6,205 Posts
In practical terms;
dombo x regular = will produce some slightly bigger pectorals. These are the F1 genos that imaal meant. Those that do not show bigger pectorals should also be carriers, but not as good as those that show signs of being dumbo. So you will get better result if you breed F1 with bigger pectorals.

If you breed F1 geno male back to dumbo mother (or any dumbo), you will create some actual dumbos in F2.
Inbreed F2 should create better dumbos in F3. . . . And so on.

I have never heard of dumbos carrying deformed genes like DT. So they should be safe to inbreed

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow thanks those are nice tips indjo.
But just a curiosity, the gene hm is recessive correct? so i need a dumbo hm female to pass the gene to f1, f2 ecc correct?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts